Thinking about entering a local BBQ competition in March

I'm in need of any tips and advice, not looking to win it just dipping my toes in. One issue I have is the only smokers I have is a large BGE and series 5 Pit Boss pellet smoker and neither are real feasible to take there. The Pit Boss probably wouldn't be a big issue but I would probably have to take a generator and it doesn't do everything I need it to do.

1 hour ago, Burntweenie said:

I'm in need of any tips and advice, not looking to win it just dipping my toes in. One issue I have is the only smokers I have is a large BGE and series 5 Pit Boss pellet smoker and neither are real feasible to take there. The Pit Boss probably wouldn't be a big issue but I would probably have to take a generator and it doesn't do everything I need it to do.

You can run a pellet grill on a heck of a lot less than a generator.  My Jackery 260 battery will run my Traeger Timberline 850 for a really long time.  Once the igniter goes out the grill isn't drawing much current at all....  

My only advice is if your planning to just dip your toe into the competition waters is don't go. Go with the thought you can win otherwise you might be willing to not give it your all and maybe be willing to cut a few corners you shouldn't. I'm not trying to discourage you ( in fact I praise you for trying) but go with an attitude that you can compete and win. Wish you the best no matter what grill you use . Keep us posted

On 2/17/2021 at 12:50 PM, len440 said:

My only advice is if your planning to just dip your toe into the competition waters is don't go. Go with the thought you can win otherwise you might be willing to not give it your all and maybe be willing to cut a few corners you shouldn't. I'm not trying to discourage you ( in fact I praise you for trying) but go with an attitude that you can compete and win. Wish you the best no matter what grill you use . Keep us posted

I’m absolutely going to give it my best shot, just tempering expectations first time out.

9 hours ago, MtbChip said:

I participated in one several years ago. 

Simple summary:  People playing/manipulating with food, stuff you'd NEVER serve your family or guests.  

Go have fun!

I've heard this, weird to cook something you wouldn't eat.

2 hours ago, Burntweenie said:

I've heard this, weird to cook something you wouldn't eat.

Due to the nature of comp judging, you need to load a single bite of food with so much flavor that it stands out in amongst the 400 other bites of food the judges take over a weekend 

Jump on you tube and check out some of the comp prep videos people like ATBBQ put out. You end up using $50 worth of rubs, brine and sauces just to put up 6 chicken thighs (out of the 12 you cook) and then most of what you serve up for judging goes in the bin 

I have a couple of friends who've competed at a high level. The amount of work that goes into a top tier hand in is staggering (like picking off flakes of salt on bits of brisket that are too large with a pair of tweezers) and i can think of no faster way to fall out of love with food in general than that...

That having been said, I'd see if anyone around you is planning to compete that you can tag along with.

A casual team might be after another pair of hands (especially if you bring beer) and that way you get to see what its all about without having to put all the time, effort and money into it 

You may want to check the rules for equipment. Sometimes "automated" cookers that use

electricity may not be allowed. See if pellet cookers are allowed before hauling it there and

finding out you can't use it. Also, the part of the country you are competing in can alter

your results. Use rubs and sauces that the judges are used to and are familiar with.

Kansas City type flavors may not do as well in Alabama whereas vinegar and mustard flavors

would probably do better.

We decided to go check it out this year and see what we are getting into. I know someone that has competed in this one before and if he’s in I’m going to see if I can tag along to get some pointers.