Wok recommendation

I use a Kamado Joe Classic II, and an Akorn Jr. I am looking for recommendations for a 14" carbon steel wok.

I am thinking to get the one with a flat bottom, so I can put it on top of the grate. I am hoping to use it on both grills. 

Do you have a suggestion? It will be nice to have a lid as well.  

If I remember correctly, the Akorn Jr is only 13” in diameter. Not much wiggle room with a bigger wok. 
J Kenji-Lopez Alt of Serious Eats recommends this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Joyce-Chen-22-0060-Uncoated-14-inch/dp/B0001VQIP4/?tag=se-equipment-20

Joyce Chen flat bottom carbon steel wok.

Avoid stainless steel and

non-stick woks. Purchase carbon steel or cast iron. 
As fo a lid, I have found that my 12” skillet lid works really well. 

I'll suggest going to an Asian market. They should have a variety to choose from. Mine was $20 for carbon steel, 18-20" as I have a Big Joe. Plus, they'll have utensils that fit. I use it on the "star" rack, so it's closer to the fire than the grates. 

Frank

Edited by fbov

I started setting up my kitchen in 1974 with 2 visits to Chinatown in SF for dim sum and shopping.  First trip yielded a set of cast iron pans with dutch oven.  Second trip yielded a carbon steel 14" wok.  All of that is the backbone of my kitchen and still in use today.  You don't give your location, but if you have a Asian market near you, it's worth the drive. 

FWIW I wish folks would give a hint at where they live:  NC or CA is not going bring a load of sh#@ on you for your location, but would give some of us a clue in trying to give advice.  At least as useful as the grill you use.

4 hours ago, daninpd said:

I started setting up my kitchen in 1974 with 2 visits to Chinatown in SF for dim sum and shopping.  First trip yielded a set of cast iron pans with dutch oven.  Second trip yielded a carbon steel 14" wok.  All of that is the backbone of my kitchen and still in use today.  You don't give your location, but if you have a Asian market near you, it's worth the drive. 

FWIW I wish folks would give a hint at where they live:  NC or CA is not going bring a load of sh#@ on you for your location, but would give some of us a clue in trying to give advice.  At least as useful as the grill you use.

Dan dropping the wisdom per usual... :-D

5 hours ago, daninpd said:

I wish folks would give a hint at where they live:

You really think Halethorpe, Bushnell's Basin or Prunedale give folks any hint?

• 1 month later...
On 2/19/2021 at 5:06 PM, daninpd said:

Haha... :) I am sorry about that. I purchase most of my stuff online, so it does not really matter where I live, as long as I can get it shipped to me.

I went to the Asian markets near where I lived, and unfortunately, I did not find anything that I really like. I ended up purchasing one from Amazon.

I finished seasoning it last week, and I hope to use it soon.

I'd recommend a steel wok with flat bottom and lid.   The traditional round bottoms require a ring stand to sit on.  More clutter.

I use a 12" non-stick wok for low heat smallish dishes and a ~16' steel w/lid I've had for maybe 30 years that I use all the time.  Not pretty to look at but invaluable and indestructible.

Watch out for wood and resin handles if using the 14" wok on the 18" KJ, the heat will flow up the sides of the wok. I would worry about burning or melting the handles.

I am using a cast iron wok on the KJ Classic II and have to wear gloves when stirring. Controlling wok temps are also a challenge since you can't turn down a flame when using charcoal.

On 3/30/2021 at 4:53 PM, IMAVGAN said:

Watch out for wood and resin handles if using the 14" wok on the 18" KJ, the heat will flow up the sides of the wok. I would worry about burning or melting the handles.

I am using a cast iron wok on the KJ Classic II and have to wear gloves when stirring. Controlling wok temps are also a challenge since you can't turn down a flame when using charcoal.

The wok that I purchased has only metal loop handles, and it worked well. I cooked a nice stir rice yesterday. I did use gloves.

As I am looking at different recipes, I realized that I will have a problem with recipes that call for high temp, and then medium temp. I am thinking about moving the x-ring up and down the divide and conquer rack, or possibly inserting one of the half moon deflector.