Blasphemy

Blasphemy some may say -

I say:  I'll have another .!!

The wife is vegan - so I picked some of this up as she has had one of these before at a fast-food-chain ( not to be mentioned ) and liked it.

Formed 3 patties - threw them on the Akorn at about 425 degrees... cooked 3 minutes each side and pulled at 155.
Package advises to cook to 160, a video I saw the dude pulled at 145... I went to 155 and they were great...
If you handed me a real burger and this thing I would be hard pressed to tell you which was which.

1.JPG.8a6728b537681e3549f55d7b0340cd0c.JPG

The things were bleeding... !!!

2.JPG.20caeb3c6e1e1a094a63f1c007e63e6b.JPG

Grill marks !!!!   ...  vegan cheese for the wife...

3.JPG.f137db4e9944e43897c22e8b56c4b643.JPG

The final product - I snarfed this thing - can't wait to do this again .!

4.JPG.74ff4a867bd508ebdfa5c1fb1051a85f.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/16/2021 at 9:22 PM, Grill_Boy said:

Blasphemy some may say -

I say:  I'll have another .!!

The wife is vegan - so I picked some of this up as she has had one of these before at a fast-food-chain ( not to be mentioned ) and liked it.

Formed 3 patties - threw them on the Akorn at about 425 degrees... cooked 3 minutes each side and pulled at 155.
Package advises to cook to 160, a video I saw the dude pulled at 145... I went to 155 and they were great...
If you handed me a real burger and this thing I would be hard pressed to tell you which was which.

1.JPG.8a6728b537681e3549f55d7b0340cd0c.JPG

The things were bleeding... !!!

2.JPG.20caeb3c6e1e1a094a63f1c007e63e6b.JPG

Grill marks !!!!   ...  vegan cheese for the wife...

3.JPG.f137db4e9944e43897c22e8b56c4b643.JPG

The final product - I snarfed this thing - can't wait to do this again .!

4.JPG.74ff4a867bd508ebdfa5c1fb1051a85f.JPG

Cool. I was never much for the "imitation" vegetarian stuff. I do happily eat vegetarian meals at least a few nights a week, and there are lots of great ways to use a grill or smoker to help make them yummy - BUT - I really prefer things intended to be non-meat in the first place

Mock meat burgers are getting a lot closer to the real thing, but I would much rather make something delicious out of fresh veg and put it in a bun

We have close friends who are vegetarian, with one of them being "grossed out" by anything that has ever been touched by meat. We have a second couple that are observant jews (and thus kosher rules apply) and who also won't use anything touched by non kosher. 

The solution - one many on here would certainly love - for me was to have a dedicated grill (a Jumbo Joe) that has never tasted meat of any sort (or anything else non-kosher). We have friends over, I have an extra grill, and I also have an overflow grill for vegetable sides. 

LOVE grilled veg. 

Today, I'm slow roasting cherry tomatoes and red onion and charring red bell peppers and some butternut squash. Served with couscous, it will be delicious.

For many but not all the point of a vegetarian diet is health.  These burgers are not healthy.  In fact regular ground beef is better for you.  The ingredients aren't "real food" ingredients and some of these products contain enough estrogen compounds to be at therapeutic levels.  We enjoy vegetarian and vegan food but will pass on this.

On 3/3/2021 at 2:39 PM, philpom said:

For many but not all the point of a vegetarian diet is health.  These burgers are not healthy.  In fact regular ground beef is better for you.  The ingredients aren't "real food" ingredients and some of these products contain enough estrogen compounds to be at therapeutic levels.  We enjoy vegetarian and vegan food but will pass on this.

I have to concur, the fat-content is higher in Impossible Burger Meat than in 85-15 ground beef.

On 3/2/2021 at 1:08 PM, Dobro Dane said:

I have heard from others that they could not tell the diff between Impossible and real ground beef. I'm gonna try some soon.

Gardien Meatless Meatballs - cook them right and they are very good.

One of our local pubs has started offering an Impossible burger. My wife and I tried it out of curiosity, and I am quite sure if someone had served it to me without telling me, I would never have known it was not beef. Absolutely delicious.

I personally have no particular interest in the health aspects of it. (If that was a concern I wouldn't be ordering a burger & fries in the first place.) But from what little I've read about it --and admittedly that is VERY little-- I have not seen anyone claiming any health benefits. It seems to me that the main thrust of the argument in favor of these is their impact on the environment. Or rather, their lack of environmental impact as compared to raising beef cattle.

Just now, Brick Pig said:

One of our local pubs has started offering an Impossible burger. My wife and I tried it out of curiosity, and I am quite sure if someone had served it to me without telling me, I would never have known it was not beef. Absolutely delicious.

I personally have no particular interest in the health aspects of it. (If that was a concern I wouldn't be ordering a burger & fries in the first place.) But from what little I've read about it --and admittedly that is VERY little-- I have not seen anyone claiming any health benefits. It seems to me that the main thrust of the argument in favor of these is their impact on the environment. Or rather, their lack of environmental impact as compared to raising beef cattle.

I agree. I have not had a "good" Impossible or Beyond Meat burger, but I have had ones that are essentially indistinguishable from a "good enough" beef one such as you would find at most large events

Nothing against synthetic "meat" if they can have some sort of benefit for some people. I won't buy it, but I also tend to think that ground beef is largely a byproduct, so it would go to waste if not used up anyways for the usual steaks and roasts that are the big drivers for cattle as food

51 minutes ago, Rick in Ontario said:

The current craze of vegetable based protien is not so much health related as it is environmental (ie: cows and CO2) is it not?

Depends on the person, I suppose

Not to mention the ethical considerations and the religious ones

I've got issues with inhumane treatment of some animals at some facilities. As a result, I tend to get my meats from reputable suppliers that I know are respectful of their livestock (or from friends who hunt and kill humanely). They are raised for food, but there is no need to be cruel to them until then. I know that my choice means my meat is more expensive, but I prefer less meat of better quality to more factory-produced crap. That's my view, which I will impose on nobody. I know exactly where meat comes from, and enjoy cooking and eating it.

We have close friends who are observant jewish (keep Kosher) and others who are vegetarian (meat is "icky") and who don't want to eat from something that touched meat. So, silver lining, I have a dedicated grill for vegetables, which respects both the kosher friends and the vegetarian ones, and which is still useful to me when preparing sides at a different temperature range.

The good lord put us at the top of the food chain for a reason . We can pick what we eat and how we eat. Through  our church lunches and pot luck diners we learned to deal with the glutton people the nut people the cheese people and just mark the contents of the dish for them, and it has been a learning experience for us. The only food problem is when my nutso vegan cousin comes over for a visit, but I suspect her being nutso has nothing to do with her being a vegan. One last rambling thought we are at the top of the food chain only if we stay out of the woods with bears. Keep grilling

We have quite a few vegetarian/vegan friends, and I don't think a single one of them has a diet any more healthy than mine. And I doubt any of them would argue with that assessment. With regards to the "impossible" meats, though, I do notice that they (our veggie friends) seem to fall into two distinct categories: About half of them are always looking for some kind of meat substitute. I think of them as reluctant vegetarians. For various reasons they don't want to eat real meat, but they miss it badly and are always trying to compensate for the loss. The other half have absolutely no interest in the meat experience at all. They eat their veggies and are perfectly content. 

What seems impossible to me is what all is in the impossible burger. Not looking at an ingredient label, there probably an impossible amount of ingredients that only degrade a person’s metabolic system.

I like to control my ingredients as best I can. I figure the bona fide non meat eaters have their reasons to do so. Hopefully it’s for solid reasons.

I have some non meat recipes that are full of nasty stuff. Taste is good.