Blasphemy

Before posting this, I want to clearly state that I'm not advocating for (or against) the Impossible meats. I don't know nearly enough about it to have an informed opinion one way or another, other than my previous statements to the effect that I thought the burgers tasted good. But I listen every week to this podcast, and when this week's episode came up I thought about this thread. So, for anyone who might be interested:

On 3/15/2021 at 9:41 AM, len440 said:

One last rambling thought we are at the top of the food chain only if we stay out of the woods with bears. 

what about the sharks? or the lions?

we may be near the top of the food chain, but a tiny irukandji jellyfish can kill an adult human. And, as we've all learned over the last year, that a simple virus (which is barely in the category of a life form and some debate that it is not a life form and merely a biological chemical) has the capability of wiping out an entire civilization.

Back to topic of impossible meat, I haven't tried it and have no desire to do so. If placed in front of me, I'd probably try it out of curiosity. Given the choice between a fresh home-made veggie burger (with visible chunks of beans, carrots, rice, oats, onion, peppers, etc.) and any meat-based burger, I'd go for the veggie burger every time. My preference is to celebrate the vegetables rather than try to make a plant-based meal taste like a meat-based meal. YMMV, of course.

44 minutes ago, Chris Topher said:

what about the sharks? or the lions?

we may be near the top of the food chain, but a tiny irukandji jellyfish can kill an adult human. And, as we've all learned over the last year, that a simple virus (which is barely in the category of a life form and some debate that it is not a life form and merely a biological chemical) has the capability of wiping out an entire civilization.

Back to topic of impossible meat, I haven't tried it and have no desire to do so. If placed in front of me, I'd probably try it out of curiosity. Given the choice between a fresh home-made veggie burger (with visible chunks of beans, carrots, rice, oats, onion, peppers, etc.) and any meat-based burger, I'd go for the veggie burger every time. My preference is to celebrate the vegetables rather than try to make a plant-based meal taste like a meat-based meal. YMMV, of course.

I'm with you on preferring to have non-meat meals that are that way "on purpose" rather than imitating a meat meal

But, we have vegetarian friends who are glad for having better options of "mock meats" for things like group get togethers - if only so they don't have to stand out as different, and they can also just scarf down a couple of burgers like anyone else rather than being limited to sides and salads

I get that. 

They also explained that "mock meats" tend to be the more social dishes, since there are a lot of people who want to "pass" at a backyard bbq, but not so many who want to pretend at home with the rest of their meals

3 hours ago, Webber_Grills said:

I'm with you on preferring to have non-meat meals that are that way "on purpose" rather than imitating a meat meal

But, we have vegetarian friends who are glad for having better options of "mock meats" for things like group get togethers - if only so they don't have to stand out as different, and they can also just scarf down a couple of burgers like anyone else rather than being limited to sides and salads

I get that. 

They also explained that "mock meats" tend to be the more social dishes, since there are a lot of people who want to "pass" at a backyard bbq, but not so many who want to pretend at home with the rest of their meals

Hmmm. Interesting points that hadn’t occurred to me. Thanks for this perspective!