I thought incredulous the statements regarding cooking these at low temps and gettting them done in less than six hours. But if i learned anything from the last cook it’s that these are a different beast with a much higher fat content (giving off as much fat as a full packer brisket. So i’m adjusting my timeline. still cooking hot but going to start checking much earlier than normal. While it’s hard to “overcook” these in my opinion, I plan on pulling them just as midget beyond ribeye steak stage: with just a little chew. 

9D5EAEA8-25A6-4EE2-A20F-0C00AA97D9FE.thumb.jpeg.ebdb11b9a25535ac4ed8fe2c123a82dc.jpeg

3DB936C2-8189-4B7D-A42F-4F8C01750498.thumb.jpeg.f3a859fbc158c5603203e701dc5170c7.jpeg

Please pardon my ignorance, but I have a question.  You said:  “I plan on pulling them just as midget beyond ribeye steak stage: with just a little chew.”  

What kind of internal temp/doneness were you aiming for?  Was it feel or temp?  Your comment left me confused.  I have never done a nice beef rib like this and am trying to buy some plate ribs through my local butcher.  

3 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

Please pardon my ignorance, but I have a question.  You said:  “I plan on pulling them just as midget beyond ribeye steak stage: with just a little chew.”  

What kind of internal temp/doneness were you aiming for?  Was it feel or temp?  Your comment left me confused.  I have never done a nice beef rib like this and am trying to buy some plate ribs through my local butcher.  

I do not cook by temp or by time. Just by sight, feel and probe test. It's why my last cook surprised me as to how quickly the Porter Road Dyno Ribs cook to doneness. I've never come in under 7 hours before even when cooking at slighty hight temps. 275º–280º vs 265º–270º. 

However, since I obtained a Thermapen for my birthday 2 years ago, I do check out of curiousity as to what temp I am pulling it at. It was 202º. But, it might as well have been 192 or 210º for all I care. Good quality plate ribs cook to beyond fork tender, imo– as in the pic below and these are seriously high quality super well marbled. In the pic below, the ribs were basically melt in your mouth. If you pull them sooner the more steak-like in texture they are (this can change if you hold or rest them in foil). These were fork tender. I could cut them with just a little effort with my fork.

ECF78D8B-8211-4CF7-9BA1-6625E48E26FF.thumb.jpeg.31570d9c1e8f2555a0a1a2a5aa853622.jpeg