What Kamado Grill is best?

Phase 3 of our mega renovation is an outdoor kitchen and patio. We want a Kamado grill to smoke, bake, and make pizzas in. It's a little overwhelming. We initially liked the Kamado Joe but the manufacturer decided to only make it in red -- a deal breaker for us. Those with experience in with Kamado grills....which do you prefer?

de02ce57077983c4_1388-w55-h55-b0-p0--.jpg
Grill Dome

b382db28077983c7_1388-w55-h55-b0-p0--.jpg
Primo Oval Grill

5e12ebe1077983c7_1390-w55-h55-b0-p0--.jpg
Vision Grill

8ba2e394077983c9_1392-w55-h55-b0-p0--.jpg
The Green Egg

Truth be told you ( nor your guests ) will 'taste' the difference between the more expensive vs the more reasonably priced kamado. But it appears as if you have the means to get whatever you want, and on that end I'd go with the BGE. Quality product no doubt and when coupled with FOGO you can't go wrong.

For a lower class chump like me, the Char griller works like a champ, so much so that I deployed the Junior in the lineup as well... then built a world-class grill-hut around those two... actually my wife built it for me. Friends and family who are still using old-style grills ( and gasp.... gas!!! )  are astounded at what I serve. Little do they know...

Good luck with your outdoor build - we are in the midst as well, a 4-phase project... doing the work ourselves.

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg

I'm not familiar with the Dome, but from those listed I would choose the Primo.  When researching Kamados, I read about how the oval shape influenced the heat distribution and provided the most even cooking temperatures across the surface.  I have the Kamado Joe (I got a great deal on it), which works great and the Green Egg would be the same.  Like @fbov said, if you want to take it to another level and willing to pay for that level, then look at the Komodo Kamado.

I've been cooking on my Primo XL for 11 years now.  It has performed beautifully, has tons of grill space, and many accessories available to make it even more versatile.  Customer service has never let me down.  From the list you provided, I recommend the Primo XL.

11 hours ago, fbov said:

22Site_150x.jpg?12101

A lot of us would have a Kamodo Kamado if we could. Many of us do. The rest yearn. 

I spent a lot of time yearning for a KJ.....:woot:

I will almost guarantee that no matter which one you get something is gonna break, melt, stick, rip, stop working.

KJ has been as good as gold to me.  They even warranted things that were my fault. I'm hooked with KJ.

I have been told by several people the Primo is great.  I also know my BGE dealer is local.  Huge amount of accessories.

BGE is the tried and true and copied (IMHO) ceramic cooker.  Based on the assumption that it will break at some point, I'd go with the BGE if there is a reputable dealer close by.  But green has to work for your color.  If not, go with the black Primo.  I guess I should add, I don't know anything about how Primos are sold. They might have local dealers as well.

12 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

Truth be told you ( nor your guests ) will 'taste' the difference between the more expensive vs the more reasonably priced kamado. But it appears as if you have the means to get whatever you want, and on that end I'd go with the BGE. Quality product no doubt and when coupled with FOGO you can't go wrong.

For a lower class chump like me, the Char griller works like a champ, so much so that I deployed the Junior in the lineup as well... then built a world-class grill-hut around those two... actually my wife built it for me. Friends and family who are still using old-style grills ( and gasp.... gas!!! )  are astounded at what I serve. Little do they know...

Good luck with your outdoor build - we are in the midst as well, a 4-phase project... doing the work ourselves.

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg

Hold the torch high brother!  - an Akorn user..

13 hours ago, fbov said:

22Site_150x.jpg?12101

A lot of us would have a Kamodo Kamado if we could. Many of us do. The rest yearn. 

I really hate the look of it actually.  Would much rather have a nice black one

My ideal Kamado is the limited edition black KJ, but on a 3rd generation one. They get them in Australia, but not in North America

15 hours ago, Grill_Boy said:

sm1.jpg

sm2.jpg

sm3.jpg

That's a hell of a setup. I wouldn't call that lower class at all. :D