I’m a glutton for punishment. The last time I tried a tomahawk from kroger it was recalled three weeks after i had eaten it for E. coli. Yup, three weeks after...

Here’s tonight’s entry paired with what I’m calling a veggie lasagna. Cooked to a perfect medium rare. Honestly, disappointing in that it was a pretty tough chew. 

0B1432D5-12DB-4F69-89EE-C9D677EA5907.thumb.jpeg.39e61dd7fe385040b1d82489f714bbc6.jpeg

77E2D74E-1F4A-484B-B050-90F74918BE0D.thumb.jpeg.96d6daf632c2226434833e6b2fa631e5.jpeg

99B776CE-5267-48C1-BF91-DE036B1B8714.thumb.jpeg.fb793e749723ba694cfc99e073a7b4c5.jpeg

FADB2495-4FC9-4AE7-9481-D7A2A97D6932.thumb.jpeg.f2326483ee6c6dda70e917a1ed75bc77.jpeg

You gave me a heads up on the Costco tomahawks but unfortunately that was superbowl weekend and I already  was thawing out my dyno ribs. When I looked for them a few days later they were gone. The first kroger tomahawk was actually pretty darn good despite the E.Coli. :-D

But that Costco Prime vs the Kroger choice makes all the difference in the world.

Costco carries a very high quality of fish, seafood andpork, lamb and beef, imo. Obvi, I have also ordered from Porter Road. I have Butcher's Box ribeye that was gifted to me (but, I'm not a fan of boneless). I'll try that tomorrow. I do go to my local butcher for specialty sausage and seafood from time to time. Especially for big cooks, if the items can;t be found at Costco.

Edited by CentralTexBBQ
On 2/24/2021 at 5:31 PM, CentralTexBBQ said:

Here’s tonight’s entry paired with what I’m calling a veggie lasagna. Cooked to a perfect medium rare. Honestly, disappointing in that it was a pretty tough chew. 

Isn't that always a bummer when you get such an amazing looking cut (and I LOVE the color on your cook!) and then it is tough?

There is a butcher here who I avoid for that reason...all the meat in his place looks amazing and well marbled (and he *claims* it is all AAA - Canadian rating just below Prime) but we are always unhappy with the cooked product.

We're right in the middle of beef country and still can be hit/miss.

Bought some steaks at Kroger for Valentines day...they were ok.  Just didn't have a ton of flavor outside of the salt, pepper, garlic I put on them plus a little flavor from the charcoal grilling.  Their beef IMO just lacks flavor like that far too often.

Publix, while more pricy, has had better quality to me here and I try to get steaks from there if I don't make it to a local butcher.

On 2/25/2021 at 12:30 PM, RangerTown said:

Do you guys go to local butchers?  I've tried a few in my neck of the woods and they were not any better than the grocery store.

Nicely marbled meat is hard to find anywhere.   I'm not sure it is entirely fair to blame only the butchers.  

The current climate of fat phobic sheeple has created a market for ultra lean beef.  Ranchers know this so breed and feed skinny cows.  It is also cheaper to raise a skinny cow than a plump one.

Butchers sell what sells well and what is available.

The whole system is stacked against flavorful beef.