I've been smashing out pizzas on the Kamado Joe Classic, using a pizza stone, sitting on weber trivet above the deflectors. Use briquettes to build up heat then throw on charcoal to get it up to 800-900F to cook 90 sec sourdough base pizzas. They are awesome, and I've been doing 20 in a night for parties, a lot of work. But you can add fuel on the side of the stone and deflector and keep that baby stoked up between pizzas just fine.

I decided to try a doJoe, and my first impressions are
1) 700F limit not hot enough for traditional DOC pizza

2) hard to ensure pizza placed correctly due to small mouth.

3) can't add fuel once started

4) hard to clean pizza stone during cook, semolina to ensure dough rolls off seems to build up and burn, and you can't see it to clean it while cooking

So given I like to cook a few pizzas I though this would serve me well, I'm frankly disappointed, and will probably go back to no dojoe for larger groups of people, which is disappointing.

Am I missing something?

I have a DoJoe for my classic I.

It is a good addition and can produce great results but is definitely not going to get you anywhere close to temp for Neapolitan pizza. It's just the wrong tool for the job.

If you're quest is Neapolitan pizza, an Ooni or Roccbox would have been a better investment. I have an Ooni Karu and have not cooked pizza on the KJ since getting the Karu.

IMG_0164.jpeg

I would say you are correct with this. I can make excellent "Nearlypolitan" pizza on my Kamado, but it's not the perfect tool for the job. I don't have a DoJoe type accessory, so the continual opening and closing of the dome to make Neapolitan style pies is a pain in the ### to be honest. And it uses a lot of fuel to get to the right temperature.

My $200 Ooni Karu nails it though - just with a few bits of kindling wood and 60-90 seconds. I would highly recommend it as a cheap, dedicated pizza tool. My plan is also to use it to make perfect Naan and Pitta breads, while cooking meat on the Kamado.

IMG_5419.thumb.jpeg.0c571fb62c06ee9c3cede102b95c46d2.jpeg

3 hours ago, adm said:

I would say you are correct with this. I can make excellent "Nearlypolitan" pizza on my Kamado, but it's not the perfect tool for the job. I don't have a DoJoe type accessory, so the continual opening and closing of the dome to make Neapolitan style pies is a pain in the ### to be honest. And it uses a lot of fuel to get to the right temperature.

My $200 Ooni Karu nails it though - just with a few bits of kindling wood and 60-90 seconds. I would highly recommend it as a cheap, dedicated pizza tool. My plan is also to use it to make perfect Naan and Pitta breads, while cooking meat on the Kamado.

IMG_5419.thumb.jpeg.0c571fb62c06ee9c3cede102b95c46d2.jpeg

Your pizza looks great, @adm! I bit better than mine. For some reason, I can't get my cheese quite as cooked as I would like. In other words, like yours. I usually use BelGioioso thin-sliced fresh mozzarella but occasionally use a store-made fresh mozz. Maybe the broccoli interferes. I dunno.

On 3/2/2021 at 8:46 PM, Chris Topher said:

Your pizza looks great, @adm! I bit better than mine. For some reason, I can't get my cheese quite as cooked as I would like. In other words, like yours. I usually use BelGioioso thin-sliced fresh mozzarella but occasionally use a store-made fresh mozz. Maybe the broccoli interferes. I dunno.

Well, I am quite fussy....so that cheese is fresh buffalo mozzarella (the kind that comes in bags of water) that has been sliced and then drained on paper towels for 12 hours. You will need to replace the paper towels a few times while it is draining. In my experience, it makes quite a big difference. 

The "less wet" mozzarellas don't seem to work as well for me. 

In fairness, in Naples most pizza joints actually use Fior de Latte - which is cows milk mozzarella. But I can get the good stuff, so I do!

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/9/2021 at 10:12 AM, Paul in Adelaide said:

hmmm another bloody cooking device it seems! Ooni Karu

I like it: Another Bloody Cooking Device".....ABCD! Good acronym.

• 1 month later...