I was looking to purchase the Meater meat probe but after reading many reviews I see where the ambient (chamber) temp. is not accurate because it's so close to the meat it get's false readings.  Can anyone tell me the pro's and con's of this probe?

I have one, initially HATED it but it has since grown on me.

Pros:

Wireless, so super convenient

Consistent connection PROVIDED you have good Wi-Fi (I do)

Easy Setup

Excellent App 

Estimated cooking time is far from perfect but useful.

Cons:

I would never use is as my primary temperature gauge

Not as accurate as my instant read thermometer 

Must be vigorously cleaned to ensure it works

Wi-Fi connection relies on a strong signal

For me, this is a tool in my arsenal, but not my go to tool.  I still use my Flameboss wired meat probe and my instant read even when I am using my Meater.

Pros:
Wireless 

Cons:

(I had Gen 1, so it may have been improved since then)
Terrible Range without extenders 

Drops out even if in range (in a Kamado)

Inaccurate ambient temps due various factors 

Must be cleaned thoroughly in order to work but don't like getting too wet 

Battery is located in the tip of the probe, which is in the center of what you're cooking (could leaks/rupture during a cook)

Terrible battery life after a bit of use and slow charging times 

I got rid of mine and don't miss it 

On 3/3/2021 at 8:12 PM, Struja said:

Cons:

I would never use is as my primary temperature gauge

Not as accurate as my instant read thermometer 

Must be vigorously cleaned to ensure it works

Wi-Fi connection relies on a strong signal

For me, this is a tool in my arsenal, but not my go to tool.  I still use my Flameboss wired meat probe and my instant read even when I am using my Meater.

So first con is really just an opinion.

Both my Meater+ probes are within a couple degrees of instant read thermo, but your experience may differ. If it's way off just return it.

I clean mine with my fingers and a bit of hand soap in my bar sink. If you do it while it's still warm, not hot, it cleans in about 20 seconds. If the black builds up on it, I use my fingernails to clean it. Might take a minute that way. It's no different than cleaning wired probes - except the Meater+ is dishwasher safe!

Not sure about the WiFi comment. All meater probes use bluetooth. The more expensive ones use an extended range version of bluetooth (the 165ft range). WiFi is provided through a mobile device that has the app (like your phone) OR the Meater block (the block technically has a repeater for your home WiFi). I setup my Meater+ WiFi using an old iPad with the Meater app installed. I leave it in the basement inside. The Meater base units go halfway between the KJBJ3 outside and the iPad, which is still inside. Using the cloud link, I can check on my cooks from anywhere from my phone (e.g., 20 miles away at the grocery store).

On 3/4/2021 at 12:47 AM, Polar Bear said:

Pros:
Wireless 

Cons:

(I had Gen 1, so it may have been improved since then)
Terrible Range without extenders 

Drops out even if in range (in a Kamado)

Inaccurate ambient temps due various factors 

Must be cleaned thoroughly in order to work but don't like getting too wet 

Battery is located in the tip of the probe, which is in the center of what you're cooking (could leaks/rupture during a cook)

Terrible battery life after a bit of use and slow charging times 

I got rid of mine and don't miss it 

None of this is true anymore. I get great range through the KJBJ3 and walkout basement walls (Hardieplank siding and brick). See my setup above for how to make it work anywhere you have access to the Internet.

Ambient temp is good but can be affected like anything by being close to a cold piece of meat or a hot griddle. That's no different than if you put your grate probe in certain areas. The ambient probe is not going to read the same as your dome temp because they are different distances from the fire.

The new version is dishwasher safe. Also for cleaning, it needs to not have a huge thick layer of black crud on the bottom to charge. I have no problems cleaning with my fingernails, or you could use the rough side of a sponge.

The battery leak is just speculation. I've had mine for a while and have no issues with battery life. Regularly do long cooks like brisket (this one ran for 20 hours), butt, and ribs.

My personal experience:

*After* I setup the cloud link I have only good things to say about the Meater+. I think that could have been better explained how it all worked. I use them (I have 2) multiple times each weekend and they have been a much better experience than using the wired probes I have.

Just wanted you to have some comments on a recent version in case you reconsider.

• 3 weeks later...

I had two of the Gen 1's. They both died.

The first one died after about three cooks. I went through Meater's rigmarole of proving it was broken before they would accept it as a return. It was 100% totally dead guys, it didn't need to be put in ice water or boiling water to see what temperature it read - it didn't read any temperature.

The replacement unit died after the first cook. Nothing special, just a bit of rib of beef reverse sear in a domestic oven. Maybe 250C tops. It just dropped out and then never came back to life. At that point, I just gave up and binned the thing.

When they were alive, the range was abysmal. I had to stand a phone or iPad right next to the indoor oven or Weber kettle I was using to be able to get a connection.

Anyway. My experience with them was awful. I am sure later generations improved, but personally I would not recommend.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...