Big Joe, iKamand, DoJoe

Kid Amnesiac

Hi All,

I'm new here.  Recently purchased a Big Joe & DoJoe accessory.  I have a bunch of little kids so I sometimes get distracted & / or have to leave for sporting events.  I'd like to get the iKamand for the low, slow cooking I plan to do this spring / summer.  At the same time, I plan to do some pizza cooking this summer.  I realize the probes cannot be used for this but is it possible to use the DoJoe without unhooking the iKamand?  If no, would the Flame Boss be any better?

Thanks!

Matt

7 hours ago, Kid Amnesiac said:

I plan to do some pizza cooking this summer.  I realize the probes cannot be used for this but is it possible to use the DoJoe without unhooking the iKamand?  If no, would the Flame Boss be any better?

Hey Kid:

Standard Thermistor temperature probes aren't built to go into the high temperature range.  So if you haven't already, you might want to check out the new Fireboard 2 Pro controller that uses Type K thermocouple probes.  The Type K's are rated to go as high as 1400°F.  Plus the Fireboard controllers are very well reviewed.

Whatever you decide, enjoy your Kamado and the Pizzas.

The iKamand mount comes with a cover so it can be removed when not in use and allows the bottom vent to be used as normal 

Not sure what the cover is rated too though 

I've seen some people do a bit of DIY and fit the iKamand mount while retaining the standard bottom vent, so that could be an option if you're worried about heat 

Other than that, there are plenty of controllers out there that dont require you to replace the bottom vent of your kamado and be installed and removed when needed  

My cover melted on a relatively low temp cook, somewhere around 325 if I remember correctly. The vendor refunded my purchase. Shame too because I really liked the app. This was an early release ikamand so hopefully they’ve fixed that now.