Kamado parts on a Weber Jumbo Joe

I have an old beat up Weber Jumbo Joe that I used for camping (and occasional use as a patio fire pit) that is definitely on its last legs

I wanted to replace it with an Akorn Jr since my Kamado Joe Jr is so awesome, but also heavier and more delicate than what I would want for camping in a popup.

Unfortunately, an Akorn Jr is almost the same price as a Joe Jr up here in Canada, and I'm not dropping 400 for the unit and another hundred for a deflector. I'm just not.

So, I decided to play around with what I could do with a Weber Jumbo Joe, to see if I could get it more "Kamado like", with more thermal mass and the full 18 inch grid available for indirect (instead of half that with banked coals)

First up, a Slow N Sear charcoal basket I had kicking around. Its awesome. But Its not a Kamado, and its hard to do low and slow smoking with the fire that close

Next, inspired by "mini-wsm" builds, I made a maxi-mini-wsm. An 18 inch beast with 4 grates on a 19 inch tall midsection. Fantastic as a vertical smoker, and removable to be the grill. But bulky.

I then tried a cheap ceramic heat deflector advertised as being for a large BGE. Raising the grate was necessary, but not too far given limited headroom. This one WORKS

And for fun, I just discovered that the bottom half of the Kamado Joe Jr Firebox fits perfectly, with or without the deflector - wonder if I can get one of those cheaply. Could someone tell me the height of the Kamado Joe Classic Firebox? If its the same height (without the ring) I could make this thing have the same level of ceramic firebox as the new KJ kettle.

IMG_5973.jpeg

IMG_5977.jpeg

IMG_5979.jpeg

IMG_5980.jpeg

IMG_6832.jpeg

IMG_4976.jpeg

I would be curious to see what happens to the bottom of the metal body once the charcoal and ceramic firebox concentrates the heat & allows a higher temp due to the heat being kept in the firebox. 

10 minutes ago, IMAVGAN said:

I would be curious to see what happens to the bottom of the metal body once the charcoal and ceramic firebox concentrates the heat & allows a higher temp due to the heat being kept in the firebox. 

That’s a good point! I’m still trying to find the grate for the firebox (haven’t had it in since I got the kick ash basket) so it will fit 

it’s buried somewhere in the garage......