Newbie from Wilmington North Carolina

SparkAndSmoke

Hello Everyone,

I moved to Wilmington NC from the UK back in October 2015 (anyone else out there local?). I must say I quickly got sick of the salt air destroying the grills so I decided to take the leap and purchased the Kamado Big Joe II a couple of months ago. 

I absolutely love it but there are a few things I wonder about

• With just the base cart and polyethylene side tables, where do you all put anything hot. I don't have a heat proof surface to put anything on and I can't put it on the ground as the dogs would certainly be too interested. I'm thinking specifically the heat deflector plates and cooking grates when I want to switch from the grate after a long slow cook to the cast iron griddle etc.
  • The ceramic firebox came with a tiny corner chipped off - doesn't seem to matter but one thing I have noticed is that no matter how much I try, it never looks like the petals butt up as close to each other as they do in most pictures. How exact and close should they knit together
  • With the hinge, after 5 cooks it really makes a creaking sound, could be used use as backing sound in a horror movie. Anyone else had this? If so, how do you fix it 

To improve my experience I purchased

• Good Welding Gloves
  • Good high heat grilling gloves
  • Long handled tools
  • Grill Expander
  • Cast iron wok
  • Half moon griddle

Next buys already in the amazon cart are below - Before I hit buy, any I shouldn't get (if so why), anything where you found there is an alternative that is just plain better (if so why).

Anything I haven't listed you feel is a must?

• iKamand
  • Charcoal Basket
  • SloRoller
  • Cast Iron Trivets
  • JoeTisserie
  • Rotisserie Basket
  • DoJoe

Where is your go to for accessories etc. Amazon is easy, The local Ace hardware either don't have much selection or are Green Egg focused 

thanks all and looking forward to interacting with you all 

Welcome @SparkAndSmoke!  Thanks for taking a moment to introduce yourself. :)

I have moved your post from the Introductions section to the Kamado Joe section of the forum as I think you are likely to get more feedback on your questions asked here since they are mainly Kamado Joe specific.   

Thank Brick Pig.

Well that was unfortunate. That wayfair table looked good and while probably larger that the solution I was after would certainly do the job. Wish we could have a larger patio but NC rules about the impervious materials sucks.

Anyway, got it and the box was so damaged and tabletop dented (that must have taken some serious abuse) that I have to get a replacement. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Spark...Raleigh Here...I got a few of these to hang on the stand to organize and store my different cooking grates and stones:  https://www.amazon.com/Kamado-Powder-Coated-Perfect-Accessory/dp/B07V9ZNS9R/ref=sr_1_11?crid=2C3CYLEPM5L1I&dchild=1&keywords=kamado+joe+accessory+rack&qid=1617548746&sprefix=kamado+joe+a%2Caps%2C184&sr=8-11

Check out Atlanta Grill Company, sometimes they  have sales on accessories.

I know all about that salt air destroying things...I have lost count of how many outdoor light fixtures I have replaced at my parents house on the coast.