Ikamand Probe Issue

Gebo

Just go me a new iKamand under warranty. My last one ended up with a bad pit probe port and a bad pit probe thermometer.  KJ was very helpful in helping me see

what was two problems when I only saw one.  Anyways...

I posted on the iKamand FB page but got no response.  I tried to go through the proper channels and am coming back to you guys for advice.  This has to

be a simple fix.  

New iKamand and new iKamand probes.  Everything's up and running.  Decided to do a probe calibration.  Got my water boiling.  All probes are reading between 210-220 F.

I am reading it as a cook.  Now, when I go to the calibration page there are no temps.  Not a one.  Just hyphens in the temp spots. The cook page has all the temps

and working  perfectly.  I tried to adjust up and down from the calibration even without seeing any temps and then went back to the cook page to see if it changed 

those temps but it didn't.

I unplugged the iKamand and restarted and I got the same results.  

Any ideas?

I know the iKamand has problems and I won't buy another but I got this new one and I'd like to use it until it breaks.  Surely it isn't broken out of the box.  This has to be

an operator error, right?   I ain't quite ready to purchase a Fireboard 2.  :)

There is an ikamand owner's group on facebook.  I'd suggest posting this question there and you might get an answer.  There are a ton more ikamand users there than there are here.

7 hours ago, Gebo said:

I know the iKamand has problems and I won't buy another but I got this new one and I'd like to use it until it breaks.  Surely it isn't broken out of the box.  This has to be

an operator error, right?   I ain't quite ready to purchase a Fireboard 2.  :)

1.  Are the probes out of calibration?  You weren't very specific about what they were reading when you put them in the boiling water  Most of these things do not need calibration out of the box.  They are generally ready to go.  None of my ikamands have ever been out of calibration right out of the box.  In fact I have never had to calibrate one at all and I have been through quite a few of them since I was involved in testing.

2. If they aren't out of calibration, it's not a big deal.  If they ARE out of calibration, just KNOW how far off the meat probe is and then you can account for that when you are cooking.  The problem would be an app problem and not a hardware problem.  IF you have an ikamand that has multiple probes out of calibration it would be a true unicorn.  

You also told me that you had multiple extra probes.   Are they all out of calibration?

Posted (edited)

Here's what I get  with all 4 probes in boiling water on the calibration 

Edited by Gebo

thats the point I was trying to make. I never checked mine, it worked fine out of the box. You can also ask Ikamand support about it through the app if I remember correctly there is a way to get support

They are all +/- 8 degrees.  

It still bothers me that I have a new unit that apparently ain't functioning properly.

When I have time, I am gonna do an erase and reinstall.

2 minutes ago, Gebo said:

They are all +/- 8 degrees.  

It still bothers me that I have a new unit that apparently ain't functioning properly.

When I have time, I am gonna do an erase and reinstall.

You truly have a unicorn situation then.  Trash all of it and buy something else.

45 minutes ago, Buttburner said:

thats the point I was trying to make. I never checked mine, it worked fine out of the box. You can also ask Ikamand support about it through the app if I remember correctly there is a way to get support

This is my 3rd iKamand and I have been unable to get support from then iKamand group.   KJ just replaces them under warranty so I ain't complaining.  They would replace this one but I'm wondering if I should be getting a hint....LOL