VA Geezer Covid Vaccine

On 3/13/2021 at 7:27 AM, robertyb said:

I am fully vaccinated with 2 doses of Moderna. I had pain at the injection site on both shots and a slight headache the day after the 2nd shot but not enough to even take an aspirin for. I am planning a month long saltwater fishing trip to celebrate.  :)

I have read that your not fully protected until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot. We kinda stuck to that advice, but we have friends who went full "back to normal" immediately following the 2nd shot and  did not regret the decision. Also read stuff that it is possible to get infected until the antibodies build within your system. Take you pick I figure, with opinions on both sides of the issue. 

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some advantages to being old, and I resemble the geezer classification. Although I did tell the nurse that stuck me, I was cooking dinner on a Big Green Egg, and she smiled, so maybe Daninpd, was righ

I got a email from the VA that I was eligible to get "THE SHOT" because I own a Kamado (or maybe something geezer related).  So I'm going in Friday morning to do what John, who posted pictures of his

Actually I believe I read on the internet where Dr. Fauchi  said burritos with chillies were 95% effective against the virus. It's got to be true, it was on the internet. 

Posted Images

Well, it’s underway!  Our region opened up for 55yrs and up last week.  We immediately logged on and filled in the blanks.  Within 4 days we had an appointment and last Thursday we both arrived at the largest site in the region.  

With all of the talk about 55-64’s getting the A-Z single dose, we assumed that is what we were to expect.  We were surprised when they jabbed us with Pfizer and immediately booked our second shot.  

Very impressed with the organization of the vaccination centre.  There were volunteer guides at every turn ensuring a quick and very friendly process.  The staff and volunteers were happy to be there and the jabbies were thrilled to have their appointments.  The only short coming is that the powers that be have determined that we must wait almost four months to get the second shot due to delays in getting enough doses in-hand.

They even had a selfie spot before you leave the centre.

E2402AC5-B6DD-4996-B832-3AFD1096E2CF.jpeg

We got our second shot Friday morning, little sore that evening, nothing bad.  About 1am Saturday I woke up shaking like a leaf.  Our bedroom is cool, very cool but not cold enough to cause that.  Lasted 45 min. and had the electric blanket on 8!  Next day I felt like I was recovering from the flu.  Sunday, back to normal.  Wife only had a sore arm.

On 4/12/2021 at 5:57 PM, keeperovdeflame said:

I have read that your not fully protected until 2 weeks after the 2nd shot.

My wife and I passed our 14-day post-vaccine date this past Friday, and had another vaccinated couple over for dinner on Saturday. First time anyone other than ourselves had been in our house since Jan. 4, 2020. It was very strange and simultaneously familiar. Perfectly normal to sit around and visit, and yet every few minutes one of another of us would say something like, "Can you believe we're all sitting here in the same room?!?!"

Since I started this thread, I have to report I got my second shot of Moderna last Friday.  It was at the VA and, Man, they were cranking us through like it was basic training.  Sore arm for a couple of days, no biggie.  My wife got her first today.

Got my first shot of AZ about 3 weeks back - before the current panic about blood clots.  I felt pretty miserable for 48 hrs with pseudo-flu but that was all.  A lot of the people I know who have had AZ seem to have had a similar experience.

The Cleveland Clinic is cranking them out too about a dozen nurses doing the stabbing i was my nurses #93 so far that day and it was only 2pm. She said the really bad part was changing gloves for each victim. But at least she still had a smile. No pain or side effects. 

I'm going to wait and see how many that get the shot "go prone" before stepping up. Now it sound like there will be an needed "booster" as well. Not to mention the J&J issues. I'll hang with the 40% of Marines that have declined.

Just quoting the CDC...(note the bold text).  I would suspect the 500,000+ Americans that have died wish they had (or had taken) the opportunity to get vaccinated.

Over 189 million doses of COVID-19 vaccines were administered in the United States from December 14, 2020, through April 12, 2021. During this time, VAERS received 3,005 reports of death (0.00158%) among people who received a COVID-19 vaccine. CDC and FDA physicians review each case report of death as soon as notified and CDC requests medical records to further assess reports. A review of available clinical information including death certificates, autopsy, and medical records revealed no evidence that vaccination contributed to patient deaths. CDC and FDA will continue to investigate reports of adverse events, including deaths, reported to VAERS.

So as a Canuck writing on an American site, I am sure that you have read all the news out of Canada that we are falling short on vaccines in a major way.  Can anybody share a cup or two of Pfizer?

@JeffieBoy

Are you in the new age group? I'm 46, wife's 45, so we can now get the shots since they lowered the age to 40. Getting ours next Wed.

The smaller pharmacies that don't have online booking (call in only), seem to have doses available. Those with online bookings were already booked until the end of May.

With the new "40+" here Alberta that started today, I got in the queue first thing this morning and got scheduled to get the AZ shot later this afternoon.  About damn time!!  As someone who suffers (both me an my wife) from pretty severe asthma/bronchitis type problems whenever we get sick, we were both pretty worried about the increasing spread of the variant around here.  All the people getting hit are younger and ICUs are hitting crisis levels.

The one benefit of the all the sanitization and mask wearing is that literally no one I know has had even the mildest case of the sniffles since this all began.  Can't say I miss my 2-3 regular colds...

@Walrus  we jumped as soon as they said “Now serving ages 6....”.  60-65. We are 61 and have been feeding details on getting appointments to our eligible family, neighbours and friends.  Everyone we have sent details to have now either got their first dose or else been booked for within this next week with the exception of one widow who seems like she will be abstaining.  Only one ended up with A-Z out of that group of about 8 couples.  The only shortcoming has been that due to shortages of vaccines our second short is set at 120 days rather than the recommended 28 days.

TBH - despite the delay in getting the program rolling in Ontario, I think that if you are eligible and really want a shot, you CAN get one fairly promptly.  I only wish that they had moved teachers and fast food workers further up the priority list sooner.

@SmallBBQr I am surprised that with your prior history that you weren’t eligible for priority service.  I am pretty sure that you would have been near the top of the list here.

2 hours ago, JeffieBoy said:

@SmallBBQr I am surprised that with your prior history that you weren’t eligible for priority service.  I am pretty sure that you would have been near the top of the list here.

Are you talking about my mental illness or substance abuse problem?  :-D   Seriously though, my wife was vaccinated earlier on and I live and work in very safe conditions compared to so many others, so I was OK waiting a bit and watching the schedules.

I probably could have pressed the issue but weighed that with all the sanitary conditions and social isolation in my life - I have not even had a case of the sniffles in over a year - so I figured risk was very low.  I can work at home whenever I choose, the guys that work for me are alternating working at home, and we have very professional standards in the office itself.  They literally hired someone who's only job is walk around the building all day long, sanitizing and wiping down every conceivable surface that someone might touch.

Now...just have be extra careful the next 10-14 days, then 3 month wait to shot #2.  The way I feel after this one (pretty sure I have every possible negative side effect on the list - haha!) I am NOT looking forward to it...just wanted to sleep all day and total body aches and pains...