A Costco AAA brisket which had almost no fat cap (of course didn't know until I opened it) but still came out super moist and tender...I was worried when I started trimming it and realized I could not leave a fat layer.  Put it on at 10:00pm last night and cooked 15 hours at 225 until 205 and probed nice.  Used Weber briquettes with a sprinkle of Traeger oak pellets and some cherry chunks.  Cooked on the Weber Summit Kamado. 

image.thumb.png.8d15929d1742469d3e9a8a45d255413e.png

image.thumb.png.567578d20be8247c697e35e1a38e7709.png

3 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

A Costco AAA brisket which had almost no fat cap (of course didn't know until I opened it) but still came out super moist and tender...I was worried when I started trimming it and realized I could not leave a fat layer... ...

very, very interesting. Nevery had that experience with Costco briskets. However, the higher grade of meat, the more intramuscular fat they have. Excuse me if I used the wrong word on the fat- still adjusting to this El Paso time change... :-D

great job on the cook

I wrapped it at around 160 (with some beef broth for moisture, in foil, and also a drizzle of beef tallow on top for extra fat) and then finished it in the oven.  I was planning on a naked the whole time but coincidentally, I realized my temperatures were slowly dropping as I was running out of charcoal so it was a good time to shift to the oven.

I would have had enough charcoal under normal conditions, but the WSK is still new to me so I was messing around with temperature control starting around 4pm on Friday afternoon...so I had it running about 6 hours before I even put the brisket in that night.  I had just finished modifying a custom adapter for the controller port so was experimenting, and then putting on the brisket was almost an afterthought....as actually planning it for Saturday night, but went early.