If you can have only one Portable BBQ Grill, gas or charcoal!

As much as I love charcoal, if I could ONLY have one portable, it would have to be my Weber Q (propane).  More often, running into charcoal/fire bans in fire season, and we use it at the lake where charcoal/fires are always prohibited.  Also has a nice cast iron insert for smash burgers!!  Lastly...I can drunk out and get my wife to cook for me on it...she won't go near the charcoal grill!

4 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

@KismetKamado waiting to hear your choice!!

Scott

I kind of love my Akorn Jr. in black. But I’m pretty fond of the new girl in town, PKGO.  

I’m going to have to go for Akorn Jr because of how tightly and securely she seals up.  Because the portability part of a tailgate size grill is pretty important....  If I drop it out on the back deck for a quick winter cook, I have no worries shutting down the vents and bringing it back in.  Or throwing it in the back of the suburban and not worrying about it spewing ash everywhere.

The PKGO is a little bit of a pig in that it litters ash everywhere - even when the vents are closed and I’m sure I have cleaned it out good.  If it was staying in one place and I wasn’t worried about ash and embers, it would be the PKGO who would win. 

Also have the Weber Smokey Joe with side vents and Jumbo Joe.  And the BGE mini which is just way stupid small. And a Weber Q1200. And a GMG Davy Crockett and a Blackstone 17” and 22”.   Gave away my Lodge Sportsmen’s grill because maintaining the cast was too tedious. And a Cook Air that I gave away because I just couldn’t do anything that didn’t have a bit of an off taste to it. Probably a few other things I have forgotten about as well. 

Anywho - Akorn Jr!

19 hours ago, Scott Roberts said:

Ok you can only have one, which one is it ckreef?

If you're forcing me to choose it would be the CampChef 2 burner Explorer. 2 burners, griddle, grill box and artisan oven. Basically covers the all bases and the grill box does a decent job even though it's gas. 

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

If you're forcing me to choose it would be the CampChef 2 burner Explorer. 2 burners, griddle, grill box and artisan oven. Basically covers the all bases and the grill box does a decent job even though it's gas. 

Well played..... well played, indeed. 

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

OK....If I had known "portable" meant you can use a Ford F-250 to move it around...I may have upped my game from the Weber Q!  :) 

Well played indeed!

I am changing my vote...

image.thumb.png.4c5af493cda1efad7e151974cafbf8a9.png

On 3/16/2021 at 5:14 PM, SmallBBQr said:

OK....If I had known "portable" meant you can use a Ford F-250 to move it around...I may have upped my game from the Weber Q!  :) 

Well played indeed!

I am changing my vote...

image.thumb.png.4c5af493cda1efad7e151974cafbf8a9.png

@daninpd will volunteer to drag that around for you with his new truck.

1 hour ago, JeffieBoy said:

@daninpd will volunteer to drag that around for you with his new truck.

Sure.  And if those lights are LEDs you could probably plug them into the 2- 115v outlets in the cab.  @Scott Robertsshould have included the old military designation of "Man Portable" in his request.  Though some things that were designated "Man Portable" in the Army were met with a disbelieving "You gotta be kidding me?"  (actually that was a adaptation of the actual phrase used).

So I looked on the forum.  Everything discussed ...real nice.  I went super basic. Just taking this to the 2 weeks at PCB (we are not at all comfortable with the unknown history of the property included grill).

Weber Smokey Joe. Super basic, small and low$.

Yikes. I feel hoity toity after using my pellet grill or KJ.

I may revert to briquettes and a charcoal chimney.

1st cook for the trial run was juicy lucy burgers. Used my Maverick 732 probe which made me feel that I was the “big time griller” I think I am.

BTW, burgers were fine. Grill made the cut.

9 hours ago, mike echo said:

I may revert to briquettes and a charcoal chimney

That, with a grill grate, is probably the most portable solution for burgers, steaks and chicken.  And it can't be beat for blackening in a cast iron pan to keep the smoke out of the house.  A charcoal chimney is a camp stove on steroids.

Some follow up. Got 2 18# bags of Kingsford Pro briquettes on sale at Costco. A chimney at Wally World $10, so my little project is not too spendy.

I replaced the rivets and made the handle stronger on the chimney which was way too flimsy for me, handling hot coals and all.

Not the good stuff but a low budget set up.