Tired of cooking the same stuff?

I came up with this a couple of years ago because, we were tired and hungry and needed to cook what ever was in the fridge and pantry. It became a family staple with a number of variations. I am cooking the one shown here on my gasser, but the dish was formulated on my Egg. So what is it. Simple, take the number of bone less chicken thighs you need to feed whom ever you are cooking for. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap on your cutting board with the thighs on top, put another layer of plastic wrap on top and pound them thin. In this variation I made a mixture of canned Hatch green chilies , ( in the late spring and summer I use fresh roasted hatch I get at the market), sliced green onion, and Hatch enchilada sauce. I slather the thighs with the chili mixture and then some Mexican cheese. Next , you roll the suckers up and tie them together  with butchers twine. Grill until they have an IT of 175, they are thighs so they can actually go to 180 and stay moist and delicious. Take some of the enchilada sauce and heat it in a  pan on your grill. I use and avocado, tomato, salad as a side. You can use Spanish rice, corn, pretty much anything. Variations include Italian with olive tapenade, sun dried tomatoes, and roasted garlic. Or Greek, with feta cheese, sliced olives, roasted garlic, fresh tomatoes  etc. Tastes amazing and works for kids, as well as  adults. Try it you will like it. Heres a couple pics of tonights dinner.  I have cooked this in a number of variations, it's always, quick, delicious, and a crowd pleaser. Only thing you can really do to screw it up is to forget to cut the strings before you serve it. How do I know that, don't ask. :lol:

IMG_1702.thumb.jpeg.a016aab27184e8d75d9356e2c28a45a4.jpeg

IMG_1703.thumb.jpeg.c3b950df7c73c1c8270dab1e0eed699b.jpeg

IMG_1705.thumb.jpeg.92dfb0cf6455b4c7cdd21b86e4779ee8.jpeg

10 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Only thing you can really do to screw it up is to forget to cut the strings before you serve it.

:rofl:

Looks delicious. I have some boneless thighs in the freezer. Mrs. GG prefers white meat. I think there is a boneless breast in the freezer too. Might have to try that with the breast for her.

6 hours ago, Golf Griller said:

:rofl:

Looks delicious. I have some boneless thighs in the freezer. Mrs. GG prefers white meat. I think there is a boneless breast in the freezer too. Might have to try that with the breast for her.

There are a lot of recipes for flattened and rolled chicken breasts on line, but I haven't seen much in terms of using thighs. I went to thighs because the breasts came out dry. Just watch your IT closely and cook at a moderate heat so you won't get much temp increase after you pull them. 

On 3/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, keeperovdeflame said:

There are a lot of recipes for flattened and rolled chicken breasts on line, but I haven't seen much in terms of using thighs. I went to thighs because the breasts came out dry. Just watch your IT closely and cook at a moderate heat so you won't get much temp increase after you pull them. 

Keeper, great recipe, thanks for sharing. I use thighs a lot even though many people don't like them ("I only like white meat!"). Your suggestion for varying them up is great, and I have been considering a stuffed Mexican version, and yours looks great.

Last fall I went to the doc for a work up and full physical and he recommended I pursue more of a Mediterranean diet. For Christmas I bought us "The Complete Mediterranean Cookbook" by America's Test Kitchen  which led me to the following. 

I make a Greek version using hammered chickens breasts stuffed with spinach, feta, red onion, and roasted red peppers. The first time I did it the breasts turned out kind of dry. The second time I did it I applied another new (for me) discovery-- pounded flat chicken breasts marinated in Greek Yogurt, lemon juice, EVOO, garlic, salt and pepper. Seal them in a zip lock bag in the fridge for an hour or two.  I use my Greek filling and dust them with a Greek rub (1.5 TBS oregano, 1.5 TSP salt, 1 TBS onion Powder, 1.5 TBS garlic powder, 2 TSP black pepper, 2 TSP beef bouillon powder, 1 TSP dried parsley, 1 TSP thyme, 1.5 TBS paprika, .25 TSP cinnamon, .25 TSP nutmeg) before they go on the grill at 350* F until 165* internal. You can add apple or cherry chunks, but they don't need much smoke.

They have been a big hit every time I've made them and are my wife's new favorite dish. 

20210113_191434.jpg

20210113_191440.jpg

Yes Sir, mister buddy, those look amazing. My wife and I both love Med flavors, and most of the things we cook have a Italian, Greek, Spanish, or Israeli flare. There is an amazing cook book called Jerusalem written by two guys, Yotham Ottolenghi and Sammy Tamimi, they have a couple of three star restaurants in London. The book is basically peasant food with fresh ingredients. Ottolenghi is Jewish, and Tamimi is Palestinian, they both grew up in Jerusalem, and the recipes are from their families and childhood. Amazing source. Also there is a Greek cooking website called Kalafagas which has a ton of greek recipes going from traditional peasant food to more trendy foodie fusions. Ps. My doc said the same thing, I just have a hard time will giving fat up altogether.  

2 hours ago, keeperovdeflame said:

Yes Sir, mister buddy, those look amazing. My wife and I both love Med flavors, and most of the things we cook have a Italian, Greek, Spanish, or Israeli flare. There is an amazing cook book called Jerusalem written by two guys, Yotham Ottolenghi and Sammy Tamimi, they have a couple of three star restaurants in London. The book is basically peasant food with fresh ingredients. Ottolenghi is Jewish, and Tamimi is Palestinian, they both grew up in Jerusalem, and the recipes are from their families and childhood. Amazing source. Also there is a Greek cooking website called Kalafagas which has a ton of greek recipes going from traditional peasant food to more trendy foodie fusions. Ps. My doc said the same thing, I just have a hard time will giving fat up altogether.  

Thank you for the compliments. I also bought Jerusalem, too, after you mentioned it a few months back. Another great book with many excellent ideas. We used to go to a Syrian/Lebanese restaurant down the hill from us in Germany. It was one of our favorites, we'd come in and the servers would start bringing out the cold and hot mezze. I used to marvel at how tender and moist the chicken was, I believe it was because they used the yogurt. There's not a good Greek or Lebanese restaurant where I live now in Virginia, so I decided to make my own. It's fun and oh so good.

I have not seen Kalafagas, will have to check it out. Aki's Kitchen has some good recipes, his Tzatziki is as good as I've had anywhere. And I, too, enjoy my less healthy barbecue items, but the more Med I eat, the more I'm able to treat myself to the old standards. I hope.

Thanks for the tips, and here's to great cooks!