Soon to be a Large Green Egg Owner

baileybbq

It took some unexpected turns but it appears that I will be an owner of a new to me large Big Green Egg soon.

I have decided early in the year that I am going to get a smoker this year.  After doing a lot of research via google and asking friends I decided to go with a Kamado grill and I can also get rid of my old gas grill.  Since I had a limited budget I was planning to the K24 from Costco and I was just waiting for it to show up in the local warehouse.

While I was out getting mail this afternoon I saw my neighbor across the street.  I chatted with him and asked his opinions on Kamado grill since he is a very good cook.  I mentioned about my decision on Kamado and he asked if I am getting the BGE or Kamado Joe.  To which I said that I am getting the Costco one.  He told me to talked to the neighbor at the end of our shared driveway because his house was just sold and he is moving back to Canada.  The neighbor has a large BGE and he doesn't want to take it with him and wanted to check if my neighbor across the street wanted it.  But my neighbor has a weber grill that he loves and he has also bought a lot of accessories for.  Plus he didn't have space for it.  So he told me to check with the neighbor at the end of the street.

I texted him and he said that I can have it.  He literally used it only once because the first time he used it his wife didn't like the hickory smoke that they used, and the Kamado also is not as convenient as other alternatives.  He showed me the kamado and it looks almost new, just a bit dirty.  It is in a nest with a cover.  It has the green top cap but the top vent is in storage and he is going to get it next time he goes to storage.

So... I guess I need to figure out what accessories I will need now and looking forward to learn from this forum.  Now I just need to know how I can move that thing up to my                 deck.

Wow, what a story, and amazingly lucky wind fall. I have cooked on a large Egg for years and years and think they are absolutely wonderful, very capable kamados, well designed, and  from my experience very sturdy. Because you are not the original owner you will not have a warranty. However you have an almost brand  new Egg for FREE. Wow.  Keep this in mind, any ceramic component you need to purchase in the future will come with BGE's life time warranty. So say the fire box in your new Egg should crack, once you buy a new one that fire box is also covered for as long as you own it, to you it's original owner. Not as good, as the overall  original BGE total ceramic component warranty, but nothing to sneeze at, and in 10 years of heavy cooking the only component on my Egg to crack was the fire box. They sent me a new one within days, and it sits  in it's packing  box in my garage and I continue to cook on the cracked one, as it continues to work just fine..The same warranty comes with original purchases of  all BGE's Ceramic components. so even without the overall warranty, your still ahead of the game and in pretty good shape. When it comes to accessories the best and most effective gear IMO, is made by Ceramic Grill Store (CGS) The AR is an amazing piece of gear.  All CGS gear is heavy duty and built from high quality 403 stainless and again IMO, is of far higher quality than any of the racks made by BGE itself.  I  have cooked on an AR for the life of my grill, probably 10years, and can attest CGS stuff lasts and lasts.  Good luck, and happy cooking. Ps I have no connection to the company, I am just a backyard cook, who admires quality gear.

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-large-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store

My neighbor just rolled the BGE over into the garage.  I will wait until a nice weekend to get some help to get it onto the deck.

Based on the inventory I plan to get the following:

- Cover.  The one he had was sacrificed to the weather so I will get a new one.

- Deflector

- Pizza Stone

- Kickash basket,  I will get the one with the ash can

- A bag of charcoal

- Debating on the side table leaves.

Can you tell me what the plastic star shape thing is for?  There are two of them and I guess they fit into the top vent.

BGE.jpg

firebox.jpg

Nice Grill leave the guts out when moving on to the deck Wish i could send my Amish friend to help he picked up my classic 2 carried it up 3 stairs across 30 feet of deck through my house and out to the back deck by himself I had trouble keeping up with him and all I had to carry was the stand. But these sized guys are far and few to find. All it cost was a pulled pork dinner for him and his family ( he supplied the butt) He now owns a Big Joe. Good luck with the move and looking forward to some pics of your grilling and smoking.

Did you read this

On 3/30/2021 at 1:33 PM, baileybbq said:

Debating on the side table leaves.

I see the carts and side shelves for sale regularly on Facebook Marketplace. Usually pretty reasonably priced because so many people upgrade to nice tables. 

Thanks len and spd for the tips.  Yeah I have a copy of that book when I was posting in the pitboss section since I was researching the LG K24.  I will definitely read that.  I have also been reading John's post on pizza, very knowledgeable guy.

I will keep an eye on the side table.  It is not an immediate need at the moment since the deck table is close by.

4 hours ago, len440 said:

Nice Grill leave the guts out when moving on to the deck Wish i could send my Amish friend to help he picked up my classic 2 carried it up 3 stairs across 30 feet of deck through my house and out to the back deck by himself I had trouble keeping up with him and all I had to carry was the stand. But these sized guys are far and few to find. All it cost was a pulled pork dinner for him and his family ( he supplied the butt) He now owns a Big Joe. Good luck with the move and looking forward to some pics of your grilling and smoking.

Did you read this

Actually looking back at my post at the introduction forum I realized it was you who shared the book.  Thank you again for keeping eyes to help the newbies.

Hey just a thought, but one of the first things  I would do is tighten the bolts on the  bands that hold your dome and kettle together. The dome rim on a BGE is smooth and when the bands stretch from repeated heating and cooling the dome can slip. I check mine a couple times a year and keep a socket wrench specifically for that purpose  in the drawer of my Egg table.

Thanks for the tip.  I checked and the bands seem to be fine.  I think the grill was really not used much.  My neighbor still has some of the starter squares that came with the grill so it was really used just a handful of times.

26 minutes ago, baileybbq said:

Thanks for the tip.  I checked and the bands seem to be fine.  I think the grill was really not used much.  My neighbor still has some of the starter squares that came with the grill so it was really used just a handful of times.

Wow, you walked into a great find. By the way, I have no idea what the plastic star things are. I have cooked on an Egg for pretty much ever and never seen anything like that.  There is nothing like that in any daisy wheel vent cap that I have seen. Are they stamped with BGE?  I am thinking they may be a part of something other than the EGG. 

After watching an old kung foo movie from the 70s (with sub titles) the plastic stars could be ninjas throwing stars. If there plastic they don't go with the grill they will melt in the vent. Keep us updated on the move

15 hours ago, len440 said:

After watching an old kung foo movie from the 70s (with sub titles) the plastic stars could be ninjas throwing stars. If there plastic they don't go with the grill they will melt in the vent. Keep us updated on the move

I haven't moved it yet but already bought and ordered the following:

- 13" pizza stone

- PS Woo and drip pan from CGS

- B & B  lump charcoal

- Cement Mat

- Rib rack

- Poultry Rack (beer can style)

- Kick Ash Basket and Ash Can

- Some BBQ gloves

- Some rubs from CGS to get free shipping (Honey Hog and Texas Beef)

- Lump rake

- Cover

Still need to buy:

- Heat deflector

- More fire starter

- A metal trashcan to store the charcoal