My daughter received a BGE as a wedding present last June - damn nice little present if you ask me...

Anyway they use it weekly ( or more ) and tonight while cooking up some Kabobs they lifted the dome and the damn thing
fell off and cracked up all over the place. Luckily no person or pet was in harms way -

I told her to get in touch with ( whoever ) and rip them a new one - damn thing isn't a year old and fell apart ?...

Anybody hear of such a thing ?

Always easier to blame someone else rather than to admit that the owner didn't check the condition of their own equipment especially if the equipment is used often. I'm sure the manual fine prints says what needs to be looked at periodically. 

Way to go!!!!

Oh yeah sorry to hear about the damage to the BGE dome. She should call BGE to see what a replacement cost. Maybe they'll help with the replacement.

To answer  your question,  I have never heard of a lid falling off.  I would bet something broke.  Send some pics if you like.

I don't think it was her fault based on what you say.  I would need more info.  Is this the new egg with the special hinge spring?  Sounds like it may have been assembled incorrectly.  IDK?

Don't get too upset just yet....Talk to the local dealer.  

BGE is a good company.  BUT>>>KJ has the best warranty I have ever experienced in any company.

I have cooked on a large Egg for quite a while, and yes I have definitely heard of a dome coming out of it's band and falling either into the fire or on to the ground. I have seen a few posts with pictures and stories  on the Egghead forum. Thank God, no one was hurt, In one story I read, a guy received some broken bones in his foot from the dome falling on his foot when he tried to hang on to it. Unfortunately this is one of the things that can happen while using a kamado. The dome is held on and attached to the hinges by pressure from a steel band tightened against the smooth surface of the ceramic dome.  Constant pressure is the only thing that keeps the dome held in place. In the process of heating and cooling over time the band will stretch and in doing so loosen. I check my bands often and keep the nuts that hold them together super tight. You can see in this pic of my band bolts that the bolts are actually bent from the pressure I put on them. BGE recommends you tighten the bolts in this manner. I also use double nuts on the bolts. Once  I tighten the first nut, I run a 2nd nut on the same bolt  and tighten it as well to hold the first nut in place. After years and years of cooking, I am in the process of ordering new bands, as I think mine are pretty stretched out.  As long as your daughter is the original owner of the Egg, BGE will or should honor it's warranty and replace the dome. Just have your daughter and her husband call them and let them know what happened. The guy in customer service used to be Bruce a very nice, and helpful, fellow. The number of the Mother Ship, as Eggheads call the BGE main office,  is 1 (800) 793-2292.BGE will want to verify ownership, so if your daughter received the purchase order, etc. along with the  wedding gift have her send a pic of that along with the pics of the dome. If she doesn't have the paper work, I believe BGE has a process for Eggs received as gifts. 

IMG_1709.thumb.jpeg.838e446f0bce6ba96435d7b7da7e568d.jpeg

Again, very sorry this happened to your kid's and I am very thankful no one was hurt. I would be very surprised if you had any trouble getting a replacement dome quickly. Eggs are great grills, well designed, and very durable, but they do require maintenance to keep them able to safely turn out great cooks. Sometimes stuff just happens.  Grace and Peace. Ps. your right, an Egg is one heck of wedding gift. 

I see this about twice a year 

If you had read the instructions you would have noticed a section where it recommends checking your bands are tight on a regular basis 

You might be luck and your local dealer will source you a new dome at no/lower cost but they're not obliged to do so as this is classic "user error"

18 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

I see this about twice a year 

If you had read the instructions you would have noticed a section where it recommends checking your bands are tight on a regular basis 

You might be luck and your local dealer will source you a new dome at no/lower cost but they're not obliged to do so as this is classic "user error"

When I first read this, I disagreed with it, and thought there was no question that BGE would cover this, but then on self reflection, I decided I didn't really know for sure, so I called Customer Service and asked the question. Here is what BGE said: Given that the Egg in question is less than 2 years old, BGE will cover the dome for replacement.  If the Egg were older then that, indicating that the owner is more experienced, the determination would be on a case by case basis depending on the circumstances. For example, if my 10 year old dome popped out, and I sent in a picture of my bent bolts with the paint rubbed off the nuts  and double nuts on top of that, there would probably be little question that I had been consistently tightening my bolts. If however the bolts and bands  looked like they have never been touched  there could be more questions and a different determination. Sounded more than reasonable to me.  I also asked about needing to replace my bands because they are a well used 10years old. BGE said, some folks cook on bands that are more than 20 years old, so they said since it would be on my dime since bands are under warranty for just 5 years,  I should wait until I had an issue.  In my opinion great knowledgeable customer service as always. 

• 1 month later...