When is the cast iron griddle better than the soapstone?

rok

Hi All,

New to the community and relatively new to Kamado cooking. On the one year anniversary of getting my classic I have branched out to get a few of the different cooking surfaces.

I got the cast iron grates as well as the soapstone half moon. However, in the process of getting my soapstone, I was initially sent the cast iron griddle as well accidentally.

I still haven't sent it back however it got me thinking whether it might be worth it to keep as well...

I had a great first cook with the soapstone (smash burgers) and am very impressed. I am considering picking up a second stone, but it got me thinking whether the cast iron might be better to keep to have the variation. I'm curious though- when is the cast iron preferable over the soapstone, and vice versa? I like the idea of having a few different things.

Also, curious if anyone has any suggestions for soapstone cooks aside from the standards- salmon, white fish, burgers, and good sears. 

The cast iron is better if you don't want to wait FOREVER to heat up the soapstone. I got the soapstone a few months ago (possibly as much as a year ago but who knows during covid times?) and love the results but I light my grill an hour and a half before cooking to get to searing temp. Am I doing something wrong?

Other than that, I use the cast iron in addition to the soapstone when I want a full searing surface, though that's not ideal since they're at different temperatures.