Overnight on the LG 24...without Temp Contoller

Mikejonce

Anyone tried to go overnight on a cook with the LG24? I’ve learned the hard way that putting a big enough pork butt on at 8am can’t take you all the way to midnight to complete.  AND THAT DOESNT EVEN INCLUDE RESTING TIME!

I want to do an overnight cook so that when I wake up in the morning I’m already 8 hrs or so into my cook. That way I might actually be able to eat bbq that day. 

Here’s the thing...I don’t have a temp controller. Would any of you kindly share your experiences/advice? I’d like to cook at 225-250 degrees.

I have had an Akorn for almost 10 years.  I use a Weber iGrill 2 thermometer.  That’s it, that’s all.  If you learn the intricacies of your smoker, you can safely do overnights.  Figure out your settings to get a relatively stable temp, then repeat - a few times.  You will come to feel comfortable trusting it, sort of like letting your 16 yr old borrowing the car.  

In my case, I have a screened back patio and an open patio.  At least once or twice a summer I load up the Akorn outside the closed patio, drop on a brisket, and sleep on the futon inside the bug free area.  My experience is that yes, your grate temp will fluctuate, but 10-20 degrees will not have any documentable effect on your final results.  On a rare occasional my temp alarm will go off and yes I do awaken once or twice through the night to check everything, but I have yet to experience any horror.  Except perhaps that time a raccoon was sitting below my Akorn and has his knife and fork at the ready and bib affixed.   

The meat goes on just before midnight, typically comes off shortly after noon, rests for a few hours in the cooler and meets my happy family members around 4-5 pm.

I do overnight cooks all the time on my stock K24. With years of experience I rarely have to get up to adjust things. I do have a wireless dual probe thermometer to monitor temps. I set alarms around the target grate temps to ensure the thing doesn't fly too far off course. Again, with a little experience you'll learn what vent settings will dial in your target temps for steady overnight cooks. It's stressful the first few nights but you'll learn that these things just hum along once you know what you are doing. 

I have a temp controller but I don't rely on it too much mostly late at night for peace of mind. When I started doing ribs i would start the kamado  3-4 hours before I put the ribs on then run it awhile after to learn the kamado. I've gotten 18 hours with charcoal left over. Fill the basket up you don't want to run out what's not used you turn off the grill and save for later. How big is the pork butt? Don't forget some pics Good luck Forgot to add I have a Kamado Joe but their close 

I just did a 15 lb brisket yesterday. Filled my pit up with charcoal and was able to get 17 hours at 225. I’m still not confident to set it and leave it so I slept on the couch and was up every couple of hours to mop and check temp. Temp stayed fairly consistent now that I’ve figured out how to regulate. 

Sure is a nice feeling when you finally figure out how to regulate the grill, but fortunately these grills throw a curve ball at you once in a while to make it interesting

• 4 weeks later...

Tried an overnighter on a 12 lb brisket over the weekend.  Dang thing was done in 9.5 hrs!  I was expecting closer to 17.  Turns out I probably didn't even have to go overnight.  Temps did swing a bit, but then again I haven't yet replaced the gasket on the daisy wheel yet.  From what I understand, that's one of the first mods you have to do on this grill to get steady temps.