Hello From JAX, FL

tbauer320

Hello. New user to the KJ forum but not this site. I graduated from an Akorn to a KJ 3 Classic.  I did a lot of work on the Akorn to get it running like a clock but my son-in-law decided that I needed a new kamado.  Hence, the arrival of a new KJ3 Classic on my 75th birthday.  I was overjoyed!  I listed my Akorn for free, on NextDoor and a guy roared over to get it. Glad it went to a good home. 

So, within a week and three cooks, the KJ has developed a problem. I cooked a pizza last night which got the temp close to 500 deg by the end. When I pulled the pizza off, I noticed that the latch wouldn't work. The top just bangs down because the dome is too far forward. Further inspection today shows that the dome is not aligned correctly. The left rear near the hinge is over 1/2" off.  So,why did this happen and what is the fix?  I called BBQ Guys where is was purchased. They sent the receipt and told me to register it. I did. They also asked me for pix of the issue. I sent them. Waiting for a response. 

Weird that the issue showed up after the highest temp cook.  After it cooled, it still has the problem.  Wondered if moving the grill a few feet caused the issue.  That should not be a problem as it is on a KJ 3 Classic stock stand.  

I checked all of the bolts for tightness.  All seems correct.  

Thanks,

Tom

kj3StrickerLatchMismatch.jpg

kj3DomeMismatch.jpg

kj3BackOfDomeMisAlignment.jpg

kj3BackofDome.jpg