Buyer's Remorse, Opinions needed

SPD500

I have been looking at buying a Classic I from Lowes, or possibly ordering the Big Joe I directly for a while now. I am not 100% sure that I need the Big Joe to cook mostly for the wife and myself, most of the time the Akorn Jr is enough and I use the built in gas grill for overflow and sides. 

So having been looking around I get someone sends me a deal that sounds like it would be a bargain. Guy bought a brand new Classic II with a cover and the iKamand system from BBQ Guys and decided that he really has no use for it. He has the receipts for it and it has not been registered yet, has not even had a lump of coal in it yet, still in the box just like it was delivered in. I told him I could get the Classic I for $750 at Lowes and I am not interested in the additional upgrades anyway (I really am not). He says he is willing to let the whole package go for the same $750 as I would spend at Lowes. 

I see where this is a good deal value wise, but I am still on the fence. Can I still register this grill as the first owner? Can we just tell them it was a gift to me? I am not at all interested in defrauding anyone, but this is not a 10 year old grill that I am trying to sneak under the radar. Being a brand new unregistered grill I feel like I "should" be able to register it. If not, should I just be happy I am getting a new grill and buy the Classic I? 

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

If you have the original receipt of purchase then I'd probably go for it.  Call it a 'gift' if you get questions.  I would consider you to be the original owner of a grill like that if you were the first person to use it.

I have copies of the original receipt and confirmation emails to prove that it wasn't stolen goods. 

I would be more worried about getting robbed and murdered by the seller than I would be a warranty on the grill. Googling showed me that the grill and the ikamand cost over $1500 from that website. What kind of joker would just turn around and sell that for 1/2 price?  Who spends $1500 on a grill that they "have no use for"? Insane. 

Well, while I was thinking of my options on the deal someone else was busy buying it. I was supposed to go meet the seller when he got back into town this afternoon, but he posted it as sold at 11am this morning. 

5 minutes ago, DrunkenMeatFist said:

Good that you didn't end up on a missing persons list

Not really likely that I would have invoices with his home address and be meeting him at that same address and end up robbed. I am usually pretty careful about these things and have never had any issues

5 hours ago, SPD500 said:

Not really likely that I would have invoices with his home address and be meeting him at that same address and end up robbed. I am usually pretty careful about these things and have never had any issues

You should keep that guy's contact info then. Any jackwagon that buys $1500 worth of gear, never uses it, and is willing to sell it for half price is someone worth knowing. Still hard for me to believe that it is true. 

People do things that make no sense to others all the time. Right now there are at least three brand new Big Green Eggs for sale on Facebook Marketplace in the greater Houston area. I have seen some that were received as gifts be resold, and others with no explanation. Maybe he bought it without his wife's permission and needs it gone quick, lol.