Can you rotate the lid 90 degrees on a Joe Classic II?

moflicky

hey all, 

I just ordered a Joe Classic II from costco.  should be here in a few weeks. 

I was wondering if it's possible to rotate the lid 90 degrees.  I won't bore  you with the specifics, but it has to do with the wall block enclosure I want to put it in.  I'd like the lid to open from the side while still having full access to the air vent at the bottom/front.

can I just loosen the bolts on the lower ring and rotate the lid?

thanks a ton!

No, not without modifications,

There are pins on the bands that line up with the base and dome that has a hole in the front and a base has a slot in the back for the pins, Curious though, Why the need to rotate  

2 minutes ago, JaxxQ said:

No, not without modifications,

that answers my question.  thanks for the quick answer.

2 minutes ago, JaxxQ said:

Curious though, Why the need to rotate  

the landscape block wall enclosure will not be wide enough or short enough for the wings to open up easily, so I was hoping to be able to set it sideways, stand and cook over the side wall and open at least one of the side tables.

the walls themselves have plenty of room to set things, so it's not a big deal - I was just thinking out loud. about the possibilities.

• 2 weeks later...

Update:  Classic II assembled and ready to cook on.  the walls of my brick enclosure are not too tall for the wings, but close enough that I have to take them off to raise or lower them - no problem.  

really excited to start cooking. made a trip to costco and got two racks of ribs, a butt and a prime brisket.  the butt is for later - in the deep freeze.  the ribs are for practice this week and the brisket is for a friends and family cookout next saturday.    it's been a long time... my akorn rusted out about 3 years ago and I've been dying to get back into the low and slow game.

Moflicky once again where there's a will there's a way. Good luck with the cook. I did a lot of practice with ribs and shared with neighbors (they keep telling me to practice more). Just noticed your profile pic is that the very funny Marty Feldman? I'm chuckling now just thinking of the stuff I've seen him in

"Don't you people know a joke when you hear one"!?! 

I saw it at the theater when it came out as well. I was far too young to understand all the genius and talent on display. Butt I knew it was funny!