Cost to ship Kamado Joe 3?

Hi all,

I've got a Kamado Joe Classic 3 and I'm moving from Ohio to Texas.  We're using u-boxes from U-Haul to ship our items and I fear it will break if I put it in one of those even with padding and the T&C on the insurance you can buy is very sketch.  Anyone have any idea of how much it would cost to ship a Classic 3 by freight or cheap slow method?  I could rent a larger SUV or Van but that will cost me $600.   I do have a crew-cab truck that I might get checked out to see if it's worthy/safe to drive to Texas but I'm worried about putting it in the bed for the 21 hour drive over 3-4 days (not to mention if someone were to try and steal it while I'm sleeping in a hotel or doing a hike).  Perhaps I could fit in the crew cab , I'm not sure though.  Sorry for rambling just thinking while I type.  Appreciate any feedback, I did read the thread about someone moving to Florida with theirs. 

If I were doing a move like that I would break the II down, by removing the hinge and separating the top and bottom, then fit in in the SUV with lots of padding. The ceramic on the KJ is very fragile, especially after it has been used for a while and I wouldn't trust trying to ship it in one piece.

Regardless of who moves it, I recommend it be taken down to as many pieces as possible and securely wrap them individually.

I had to move a Junior, a Classic and a Big Joe about 45 miles when we moved a couple years ago.  Myself and my wife took all the guts out of all the grills and wrapped them.  We took the grills out of the stands and put good, thick cardboard between the lid and the base.  Then we placed the grills on foam insulation and used additional foam insulation to pad the sides.

It was really scary just the two of us trying to lift the grills out of and then back into the bases.

• 2 months later...
On 4/2/2021 at 12:32 PM, len440 said:

I think what we are seeing here is the down side of ceramic cookers. Moving them. Who is hauling the boxes?

I decided I would drive back when the house sold and pack it up with me then and take it.  Ended up fitting in the CR-V without having to take the dome off.  Happy to say the move was a success and the KJ is setup in its new home.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By zero
      Hi all, so after less than a year on my Akorn, I made the leap and now have a Kamado Joe Classic!  Haven't done any cooking on it yet, as I didn't get it onto my back patio until last night around 9:15, but will remedy that tonight!  I put this post at the end of my last one full of 20 questions about how to move one of these things, and thought I'd create it as a thread of its own, in case there are (probably will be) any other people in my situation who want input on whether it will fit in their vehicle or not, specifically to those with a 2010 Subaru Outback or newer.  Measured my rig's interior tons of times, got varying results on the size of the kamado itself, had a friend ready to lend me his truck, but at the end of the day my Outback did the job:

With the top vent removed, it just fits in there, standing upright.  My intent was to have it lying down, but this worked out great.  I stuffed some excess plastic wrap the Costco guys had left over between the handle and my car's rear hatch.  Some tie-down straps from the same friend kept it quite stable, and I had a pretty easy drive back over the mountains to my house.

I've never been known for any kind of cosmetic abilities, only good cooking.   Anyway, it survived the trip without incident, and now it's waiting patiently on my back patio for the first cook!

Think I'll try a [simple?] reverse seared steak, since I didn't [easily?] have that ability with my Akorn.  Sounds like a simple process, but gues I'm about to find out!  Look forward to sharing lots of tasty cooks with y'all.
    • By wallawu
      I'm going on vacation at the end of August, and if I get it cleared with the condo I'm staying in I'd like to take the Akorn with me.  We'll be down in the gulf, so I'd like to give some fresh seafood a try on this thing.  I don't see what it could hurt, but just in case, is traveling ~10 hours strapped in the back of my truck a danger to the Akorn?

I'd also like to take it to Razorback tailgates, so this will be good to know for that, too.