Kamado Joe Tumbler Basket - FLAKING

After my second use with my tumbler it unfortunately started peeling and it spilled the contents in the cook twice. I reloaded it with the wings that didnt fall into the charcoal and at the end of the cook I had the black finish peeling onto my food. This is not to dog pile onto the product or the company. Just something I wanted to make potential buyers aware of. I am hoping I just got the one defective unit and that this isnt going to happen to everyone.  I already filed a warranty claim and I know they will replace it. 

02B11B48-166F-40D3-848A-6DBAE9117A68.jpeg

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My control tower flakes and that I dont care. Functionality over looks for me. However, This I care because my second batch of wings were coated in the flaking. I threw em out. Maybe Ill get it sand b

Substitute the word "paint" for "coating" and my point still stands  At this point, you're just splitting hairs  KJ clearly have an issue getting their "coating" of choice to stick to their

Yea... KJ owners are mostly unappy with paint flaking and they make warranty claims over and over to get new kontrol towers (or whatever else is flaking) just to have it flake again.    

Posted Images

And this is a pic of the first cook. Wings came out excellent. So good i wanted to do it again the very next day. Unfortunately it didnt work out on round two. I dont think I did anything different between today and yesterday either. 

8950D052-40B6-4677-96DD-D60C01BA45F8.jpeg

Is that powder coated AL like the control tower/DoJoe? I am the first one to say that those two (non-food contact) flaking is no big deal but this another thing entirely. I am certainly going to wait on buying that until V2 (anodized, SS, whatever).

EDIT: I realize this was not clear, this is not okay for something with direct food contact. I was shocked that they appeared to do the same process (which was known to have flaking issues) with something contacting food. 

Edited by gotzero

If you have flaking issues I would immediately do what I did and fill out a warranty claim. Kamado Joe got back to me and there currently working to improve the durability of the basket. They added me to a list of customers that they will be sending a new basket too once it’s available. 

I remember the question coming up when the product was announced. This really did not take very long at all, and is not a good image for Kamado Joe. Hopefully they will stop selling them until they get the coating issue figured out, and maybe use an improved coating on all of the parts known for having issues.