Jump to content

Kamado Joe Tumbler Basket - FLAKING


Brandon Store
 Share

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, John Setzler said:

That sucks.  This product has apparently not ready for prime time.  That is hugely disappointing.

 

Honest question, John

 

You've made a video (maybe 2) on this basket, what happens now in relation to those videos?

Do you take them down?

Do you make another explaining the issues you're having?

When I search "Kamado Joe Basket" on You Tube, your video for AGC is the first to come up 

Was just curious how you approach a situation like this where your initial impressions were good but they didnt last in the long run?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

 

Honest question, John

 

You've made a video (maybe 2) on this basket, what happens now in relation to those videos?

Do you take them down?

Do you make another explaining the issues you're having?

When I search "Kamado Joe Basket" on You Tube, your video for AGC is the first to come up 

Was just curious how you approach a situation like this where your initial impressions were good but they didnt last in the long run?

 

I asked that question to Atlanta Grill Company and they want to leave the videos up.  Those are videos I made for Atlanta Grill Company so they own them.  I have been told that kamado Joe will be fixing this problem and making good for everyone who has issues.  I do not know how far this issue goes or how many people it might affect.   I won't be recommending this basket set until kamado Joe rectifies this issue.  I am extremely disappointed with this product.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m an ex chef - now in an IT related role. In my job, nothing with a critical known defect gets released. Ever.  I love my Kamado Joe, but it absolutely defies belief that this product was not tested over and over and over again, 100 cooks or more before proceeding to production and release. It has to have surely. So ... how is this happening? I can’t fathom it. Surely a company like KJ would do thorough testing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Geoff Taylor said:

I’m an ex chef - now in an IT related role. In my job, nothing with a critical known defect gets released. Ever.  I love my Kamado Joe, but it absolutely defies belief that this product was not tested over and over and over again, 100 cooks or more before proceeding to production and release. It has to have surely. So ... how is this happening? I can’t fathom it. Surely a company like KJ would do thorough testing? 

 

 

You would think.  A copmpany like KJ who wants to be a PREMIERE brand in the market...  

 

I do know that this product got some amount of advanced testing.  I was not part of that testing so I do not know what the results were.  It is possible that the defects only affect a small number of the product line. 

 

I think after the quality black eye that Kamado Joe received after the iKamand that they would be diligent about not letting that sort of thing happen again.  

 

I have my opinions about this situation but I'll just keep them to myself.  Speculation is rather worthless.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with John one would think after the peeling Kontrol tower they would be wary of coating anything, and at the very least test the heck out of it before selling it. In this day of internet it doesn't take long to get a tarnished reputation. They do have a good product but the accessories????????? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, len440 said:

I agree with John one would think after the peeling Kontrol tower they would be wary of coating anything, and at the very least test the heck out of it before selling it. In this day of internet it doesn't take long to get a tarnished reputation. They do have a good product but the accessories????????? 

 

Kontrol Tower 

SloRoller

DoeJoe

 

Pretty much any Black KJ Product that is exposed to heat has had issues with paint peeling 

I'm genuinely shocked they're still persisting with the material/coating combo 

Theyre still putting out Kontrol Towers that peel after a couple of cooks (my neighbors 6mo Series 3 started peeling by cook #5)

 

I was keen on the idea of a KJ basket but as soon as i saw it was painted i put my wallet away

I had a pretty good idea of how this was going to play out as soon as i saw the press release 

 

Its a shame

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

 

Kontrol Tower 

SloRoller

DoeJoe

 

Pretty much any Black KJ Product that is exposed to heat has had issues with paint peeling 

I'm genuinely shocked they're still persisting with the material/coating combo 

Theyre still putting out Kontrol Towers that peel after a couple of cooks (my neighbors 6mo Series 3 started peeling by cook #5)

 

I was keen on the idea of a KJ basket but as soon as i saw it was painted i put my wallet away

I had a pretty good idea of how this was going to play out as soon as i saw the press release 

 

Its a shame

 

 

I dont' know how many times I am gonna have to say this but the baskets are not painted.  It is NOT PAINTED.  This is an entirely different coating process.  It is NOT POWDER COAT.  IT IS NOTHING LIKE THE KONTROL TOWER, SLOROLLER, OR DOJOE.  THOSE ITEMS ARE ALL POWDER COATED.  It is a non-stick coating process that is the exact same process that is used to coat a lot of non stick cookware. It is the SAME coating material that goes on a lot of non-stick cookware.  

 

Yes.  It's flaking off.  That is not in question.  It should not flake off.  I just want to clear that up because I would not buy this product if it was painted or powder coated even if it wasn't coming off.  I think everyone pushing the point that it's paint or powder coat is not right.

 

THIS PRODUCT HAS NOTHING IN COMMON IN TERMS OF DESIGN OR MANUFACTURING WITH THE SLOROLLER, KONTROL TOWER, OR DOJOE.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

 

 

 

...THIS PRODUCT HAS NOTHING IN COMMON IN TERMS OF DESIGN OR MANUFACTURING WITH THE SLOROLLER, KONTROL TOWER, OR DOJOE.  

Well, they do share one thing in common.  They are "all" defective.  I think that is a common link between them.  I don't know anything about the Sloroller.  That's why I put the " around "all."

 

Laughter can be a good medicine.:rofl:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, John Setzler said:

 

I dont' know how many times I am gonna have to say this but the baskets are not painted.  It is NOT PAINTED.  This is an entirely different coating process.  It is NOT POWDER COAT.  IT IS NOTHING LIKE THE KONTROL TOWER, SLOROLLER, OR DOJOE.  THOSE ITEMS ARE ALL POWDER COATED.  It is a non-stick coating process that is the exact same process that is used to coat a lot of non stick cookware. It is the SAME coating material that goes on a lot of non-stick cookware.  

 

Yes.  It's flaking off.  That is not in question.  It should not flake off.  I just want to clear that up because I would not buy this product if it was painted or powder coated even if it wasn't coming off.  I think everyone pushing the point that it's paint or powder coat is not right.

 

THIS PRODUCT HAS NOTHING IN COMMON IN TERMS OF DESIGN OR MANUFACTURING WITH THE SLOROLLER, KONTROL TOWER, OR DOJOE.  

 

Substitute the word "paint" for "coating" and my point still stands 

At this point, you're just splitting hairs 

KJ clearly have an issue getting their "coating" of choice to stick to their aluminum of choice

 

And to Gebos point, they have one thing in common and its kind of a big deal...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I work with product validation for a large manufacturer. This issue looks like an adhesion issue that can be caused by multiple things. When testing the product KJ may have not had any issues. KJ supplier for these parts may have changed something minor in their process causing this issue. I assume this is being investigated and corrected. KJ will probably provide replacements for the affected parts. Not a fun situation but is very common in the industry. I will wait to see if my defective basket gets replaced before I get to excited. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Gebo said:

Well, they do share one thing in common.  They are "all" defective.  I think that is a common link between them.  I don't know anything about the Sloroller.  That's why I put the " around "all."

 

Laughter can be a good medicine.:rofl:

 

Yea... I think I said that in my post too.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Polar Bear said:

 

Substitute the word "paint" for "coating" and my point still stands 

At this point, you're just splitting hairs 

KJ clearly have an issue getting their "coating" of choice to stick to their aluminum of choice

 

And to Gebos point, they have one thing in common and its kind of a big deal...

 

Yea... It's not aluminum either.  See... all I ask is that you know what you are talking about before you say it.  The internet is already full of misinformation.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I wasn't implying that the coating is the same as on the Kontrol tower or the basket because I have not seen the basket. I was just suggesting that KJ may not be testing enough, if it's powder coated, painted or what ever it is  before releasing an item for sale to the public, I have a classic II and have no faults with it, they honored their warranty ( cracked deflector and Kontrol tower, and a surprise touch up paint) the Joetisserie works as advertised and would recommend these. But with Kamado Joe trying to sell itself as a top of the line product it doesn't take much to damage that reputation. I think John is stuck in the middle due to his endorsement  the KJ line,  he offers an HONEST  and open review of the products both good and bad he uses and lets us make up our own minds. I think the bottom line here is that KJ has to do a better job of testing their final product before releasing it 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, len440 said:

I think John is stuck in the middle due to his endorsement  the KJ line,  he offers an HONEST  and open review of the products both good and bad he uses and lets us make up our own minds. I think the bottom line here is that KJ has to do a better job of testing their final product before releasing it 

 

I'm not stuck in the middle.  I am perfectly fine calling a turd a turd and this is a turd.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...