Jump to content

Kamado Joe Tumbler Basket - FLAKING


Recommended Posts

Ya'll know I'm a KJ Fanboy.  My wife was joking last night that I'm on my second Big Joe II due to the fact that so many

parts have been replaced under warranty.  My last 2 warranties won't be here til sometime in May.  The ceramic base ring split in two and that top metal ring that holds the ceramic "Petals" in place is so warped it won't hold the "petals" in place.  I'm using some lava rocks to support them from behind so the metal ring can be used.   LOL

 

I know some of you will think I'm not wrapped real tight but I am at the point now where I would never buy a "new" item from them at go-start.  Sort of like not buying the first year of a new car model.

 

Ok, here's where I am slightly warped.  I am on my 3rd iKamand and who knows how many probes.  Doing Burnt Ends last night and it locked up and went wacky.  No worries as I had purchased one on my own many months ago to use during the time I wait for my replacement iKamand to get here.  I purchased an extra dome thermometer.  I have a extra new set of lid gaskets.  I have another set of ceramic plates.  I have another set of probes that I purchased. 

 

I ain't griping.  I ain't mad.  It is interesting in that I love my KJ but I have accepted parts may not work as designed so I go on and purchase the parts ahead of the warranty to have them to use before they honor their warranty (Which they have 110%)

 

There is no way they can be legitimately testing these products before release. Maybe they are just trying to wear us down to accept poor quality.

 

I'm still a KJ fanboy.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My control tower flakes and that I dont care. Functionality over looks for me. However, This I care because my second batch of wings were coated in the flaking. I threw em out. Maybe Ill get it sand b

Substitute the word "paint" for "coating" and my point still stands  At this point, you're just splitting hairs  KJ clearly have an issue getting their "coating" of choice to stick to their

Yea... KJ owners are mostly unappy with paint flaking and they make warranty claims over and over to get new kontrol towers (or whatever else is flaking) just to have it flake again.    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Gebo said:

Ya'll know I'm a KJ Fanboy.  My wife was joking last night that I'm on my second Big Joe II due to the fact that so many

parts have been replaced under warranty.  My last 2 warranties won't be here til sometime in May.  The ceramic base ring split in two and that top metal ring that holds the ceramic "Petals" in place is so warped it won't hold the "petals" in place.  I'm using some lava rocks to support them from behind so the metal ring can be used.   LOL

 

I know some of you will think I'm not wrapped real tight but I am at the point now where I would never buy a "new" item from them at go-start.  Sort of like not buying the first year of a new car model.

 

Ok, here's where I am slightly warped.  I am on my 3rd iKamand and who knows how many probes.  Doing Burnt Ends last night and it locked up and went wacky.  No worries as I had purchased one on my own many months ago to use during the time I wait for my replacement iKamand to get here.  I purchased an extra dome thermometer.  I have a extra new set of lid gaskets.  I have another set of ceramic plates.  I have another set of probes that I purchased. 

 

I ain't griping.  I ain't mad.  It is interesting in that I love my KJ but I have accepted parts may not work as designed so I go on and purchase the parts ahead of the warranty to have them to use before they honor their warranty (Which they have 110%)

 

There is no way they can be legitimately testing these products before release. Maybe they are just trying to wear us down to accept poor quality.

 

I'm still a KJ fanboy.

I get that they are willing to warranty, but the investment in spare parts to use while you wait is an issue for many people, myself included. For the price point of these products there should be minimal wait time for warranty replacements and most of the items should be available from the local dealer for replacement. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, SPD500 said:

I get that they are willing to warranty, but the investment in spare parts to use while you wait is an issue for many people, myself included. For the price point of these products there should be minimal wait time for warranty replacements and most of the items should be available from the local dealer for replacement. 

I agree.  My dealer is not worth a lot when dealing with warranty issues.  He has never helped me. He refers me to KJ corp.  If I ever purchase another KJ, I have no idea where I would purchase it.  No flames but it seems,  repeat "seems" that BGE has a better support system.  Not warranty issues.  Just support.  I have gone in and talked with local dealer.  All the parts are there on the shelves. Sorta old Technology, I guess.  But I have to admit it is nice to go into a local dealer and look them in the eye.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yep, if BGE would have kept up with what the competition was doing better I would buy BGE for sure. I feel like the KJ is a better deal for the consumer based on all of the options and upgrade that come with the unit, but I am leary of the warranty issues I keep hearing about. I am about to order a new Big Joe, and this part of it is making me nervous. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

If you are nervous, lack confidence, or for any other reason not comfortable with a product then you should avoid it.  That's how I operate.  I won't buy something that I don't like for any reason.  When you are shopping for something like a Kamado, if you are making decisions based on the "lesser of the evils" then you would want to buy something other than a Kamado.  There are a lot of Kamados on the market.  Make yourself a list of features and benefits you want and buy the one that meets your needs the best.  Only you can weigh which features and benefits are of value.  This is a frequent debate among Kamado shoppers.  Who has the best product?  Who has the best service?  Who has the best warranty?  Who has the best feature set?  You really SHOULD evaluate each of those and make your decisions accordingly.  

 

What makes a Kamado Joe more attractive than a Big Green Egg, or vice versa?  

 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only two that I would really consider would be the KJ or the BGE. I have a little Akorn Jr that I love cooking on, but am very limited on the size. I was going to buy a Classic, but even it seemed a little on the small side compared to what I have always been used to with my offset, so I am now at the point of the Big Joe VS the BGE XL for the larger cooking area. I would love to tell you that the Komodo Kamado Big Bad was in consideration, but alas I am just a peasant. I like everything about the Big Joe and feel like it truly is the best value, so I am pretty much sold on that. The only complaint is that even before buying it I seem to be hearing that it is not a matter of "if" I will ever need a warranty, but "when". This does not seem to be a KJ specific issue because I see tons of BGE warranty claims discussed as well. But with the BGE it seems like everyone calls their local dealer and gets taken care of, my local "dealer" for the KJ is Lowes, kinda. I can't get the Big Jow through Lowes in my area anyway, so I am going through Kamado Joe directly and having it shipped. It would be unfair to say that I am not comfortable with them, I may have worded that too strongly. I guess the point is that the difference between the two makes the KJ seem more like a "big box" purchase rather than the more personalized experience with the local dealer for the BGE. This could all just be my luck here in the Houston area too, I went to the local place that has Primo grills in stock and a few on display and the kid that works there couldn't answer any questions at all about it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SPD500 said:

 The only complaint is that even before buying it I seem to be hearing that it is not a matter of "if" I will ever need a warranty, but "when". 

 

Yea... KJ owners are mostly unappy with paint flaking and they make warranty claims over and over to get new kontrol towers (or whatever else is flaking) just to have it flake again.  

 

20210412_145001.jpg

 

I love my kontrol towers.  They look like they have been rode hard because they have.  My grills aren't prom queens and they never will be.  They are always gonna look like they have been worked hard.  Most people who spend this kind of money on grills want them to look pretty too and that's a problem.   If you want a prom queen, that Komodo Kamado should stay on your radar.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, len440 said:

Looking at John's Kontrol tower I see baked on grease and smoke that is a byproduct of using charcoal and BBQing Plus being well used, and looks normal

 

It's normal but most can't stand that flaking.  I have to agree that it would be nicer if it didn't flake but it's not something I get upset about.

Link to post
Share on other sites

My Akorn Jr is less than six months old and has been like that for awhile now. I expect that to happen with the KJ pretty quickly too. The only real concern for me personally would be items that make the grill unusable, like broken ceramics. I think that KJ has the best firebox design of all kamados on the market right now, so it will mainly be the heat deflectors that will be of concern if anything. Overall I am confident in the decision to go with the Big Joe, I am just a bit of a control freak about things like this according to my wife, lol.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, SPD500 said:

My Akorn Jr is less than six months old and has been like that for awhile now. I expect that to happen with the KJ pretty quickly too. The only real concern for me personally would be items that make the grill unusable, like broken ceramics. I think that KJ has the best firebox design of all kamados on the market right now, so it will mainly be the heat deflectors that will be of concern if anything. Overall I am confident in the decision to go with the Big Joe, I am just a bit of a control freak about things like this according to my wife, lol.

 

I am starting to see trends with the broken heat deflectors.  There have been a lot of those but when I see the photos posted there are a couple things I am seeing frequently.  Here are two tips that might make your heat deflectors last forever:

 

1.  Do not leg cooking crud build up on them.  Get a wire brush and brush them down after a cook if there is a bunch of built up crud on them.  This will allow them to continue to heat evenly and not have some pieces of the stone exposed to high heat while other pieces are shielded from it.

 

2.  Do not put your heat deflectors in the grill during a high temperature self cleaning.

 

Those two tips should keep you from ever breaking a heat deflector unless you drop it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

1.  Do not leg cooking crud build up on them.  Get a wire brush and brush them down after a cook if there is a bunch of built up crud on them.  This will allow them to continue to heat evenly and not have some pieces of the stone exposed to high heat while other pieces are shielded from it.

I will quietly go scrape all the crud off of my heat deflector for my Akorn, lol. I have been guilty of just turning it over each time I cook. But it also seems like the Akorn stone is a bit thicker than the KJ version

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, SPD500 said:

I will quietly go scrape all the crud off of my heat deflector for my Akorn, lol. I have been guilty of just turning it over each time I cook. But it also seems like the Akorn stone is a bit thicker than the KJ version

Something that I did early on and has worked for me (and my KJC2), is to go to costco and buy the bulk pack of aluminum roasting pans which are nearly the same size as my deflectors. I put those on the x-rack so they arent sitting right on the stone, and the drippings collect in there for the most part, which really helps keep the mess down. As always, your mileage may vary depending on driving habits and local road conditions.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I learned not to leave my deflectors sitting on the back deck railing in the rain or to not  wash them and go straight to the fire.  What a knucklehead.....

 

Snap, crackle, crack:blink:

Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, SPD500 said:

I will quietly go scrape all the crud off of my heat deflector for my Akorn, lol. I have been guilty of just turning it over each time I cook. But it also seems like the Akorn stone is a bit thicker than the KJ version

 

Turning it over each time you cook is OK when doing low and slow and cooks where you aren't going over about 300f in the dome.  If you turn over a cruddy heat deflector and then to 450 or higher in the dome is is when you are gonna put thermal stress on that heat deflector.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...