Jump to content

Kamado Joe Tumbler Basket - FLAKING


Brandon Store
 Share

Recommended Posts

I filed a warranty claim will KJ for the flaking basket last week. Just received 2 bags of KJ lump charcoal from FedEx. Pretty nice way of saying you’re sorry. Hope to get a replacement basket soon but it’s nice they sent some charcoal for my troubles. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Just found out that KJ is just refunding the money for my basket. Maybe they are giving up on this one. It’s a shame, I like this design better than the Napoleon. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah they told me the same. A buddy of mine has a blast cabinet and blasted my tumbler. Washed it a few times before use and it’s been working good.  Spray it with some pam grilling spray and continue tumbling. I understand most people wouldn’t want to do this and we shouldn’t have to do this..... but I did and it now works. 

E59D3294-F272-4096-B32B-FDA4F42A8C25.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Brandon Store said:

Yeah they told me the same. A buddy of mine has a blast cabinet and blasted my tumbler. Washed it a few times before use and it’s been working good.  Spray it with some pam grilling spray and continue tumbling. I understand most people wouldn’t want to do this and we shouldn’t have to do this..... but I did and it now works. 

E59D3294-F272-4096-B32B-FDA4F42A8C25.jpeg

 

The center piece of this basket is not stainless steel and it's likely gonna rust now so keep it oiled.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

To defend KJ a bit on this (and I’m not a customer, my grills are a different color), I’m sure the basket was tested and retested and worked perfectly in test.  It seems likely that this is manufactured for KJ by a third party, and when delivering in quantity, the manufacturer cut corners here and there to deliver on time or to make a tiny profit. It’s unfortunate, but I’ve seen this happen before. Where I worked 30+ years ago we ordered powder coated parts from a supplier, and when they had trouble meeting demand, they switched to spray painting some. A disaster and a PR disaster.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, mpenacho said:

To defend KJ a bit on this (and I’m not a customer, my grills are a different color), I’m sure the basket was tested and retested and worked perfectly in test.  It seems likely that this is manufactured for KJ by a third party, and when delivering in quantity, the manufacturer cut corners here and there to deliver on time or to make a tiny profit. It’s unfortunate, but I’ve seen this happen before. Where I worked 30+ years ago we ordered powder coated parts from a supplier, and when they had trouble meeting demand, they switched to spray painting some. A disaster and a PR disaster.

 

That sounds well and good but this is far from the first go round with coating flaking off.

 

The daisy wheel on my classic from 2014 still has all of the black coating with no signs of flaking. Something has changed. One would think this issue could have been resolved before now. Replacing all of these flaking parts over and over under warranty is not cheap.

 

But, what do I know?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, mpenacho said:

To defend KJ a bit on this (and I’m not a customer, my grills are a different color), I’m sure the basket was tested and retested and worked perfectly in test.  

 

I'd like to believe that but I don't.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I agree with John But if you sell a product you are still responsible  for the product if  you make it or subcontract it Glad it appears KJ is refunding. It might take a temporary monetary hit but the biggest hit is to there reputation as a quality product good reps are hard to make but easy to loose. Quality of a product has always been an issue I once attended a seminar at a large rc airplane show about our radios we use. I was surprised when the reps from several radio manufactures informed use in the electronics industry  a 10 % failure was acceptable but not for our radios because we are a small community and word spreads fast about our radios, and with the internet it's a smaller community. Perhaps it would be best if KJ would stop coating there products. Hope I'm not rambling too much or getting too deep into the weeds here on the issue

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not for nothing, but many years ago I made a post on a headphone forum regarding a new headphone which was having issues with wood cups. The wood cups were made in a humid part of the world and shipped around the world. Obviously the grade of wood available in that country & the change in humidity cause a lot of Q&A issues. My suggestion was to go the a polymer cup to move his business forward instead of wasting all his resources responding to cracked wood cups.

 

3 months later the product line went to all polymer cups & his business is now selling headphones anywhere from a few $300 to $2,000.

 

At the risk of cutting myself out of a commission again,... I am going to suggest that KJ at least look at anodizing their aluminum products as  the finish is more durable.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Maybe you can relate to this.  We had a 150 hp Hammer mill that blew out a bearing.  It was in a dark basement.  Rodents, rotten grain, bugs, humid, stinky, etc.  Me and another guy had seen the alignment was off and we  were trying to get it up and running as the feed mill could not make feed without this hammer mill grinding the corn.  After about 3 hours of jacking and wedging and hoisting and sliding and stepping outside for fresh air soaked in ground corn and sweat, the owner hollered down through the grain chute from the upper floor.  He said, " I don't give a damn about what you have to do!  All I am telling you is corn is coming down this chute in 15 minutes whether the fu_______ hammer mill is running or not! " 

 

We got the hammer mill back together with it not being lined up properly and it lasted 3 weeks until the other side bearing blew out.

 

There is a time to push and there is a time to not push.  Sometimes, it's hard to know which is right.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, IMAVGAN said:

At the risk of cutting myself out of a commission again,... I am going to suggest that KJ at least look at anodizing their aluminum products as  the finish is more durable.

 

@John Setzler has said that it will rust, so it's probably just cheap mild steel, which cant be anodised. If it is, then someone want a kicking as mild steel has no place in contact with food.

It needs to be stainless. No coatings needed. A bit more expensive though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, The Chairmaker said:

@John Setzler has said that it will rust, so it's probably just cheap mild steel, which cant be anodised. If it is, then someone want a kicking as mild steel has no place in contact with food.

It needs to be stainless. No coatings needed. A bit more expensive though.

Yes, I knew that but if anodizing is an option they should just make the entire thing aluminum.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, IMAVGAN said:

Yes, I knew that but if anodizing is an option they should just make the entire thing aluminum.

Pretty much anything would be better than coated mild steel!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/14/2021 at 11:46 AM, Rick in Ontario said:

The Napoleon basket is stainless right from the get go. And a lot cheaper.

 

Just sayin'.

 


They've been out-of-stock for ages here in the UK. That boat that blocked the Suez really has hammered supplies of everything from Asia.


I've finally managed to pick up one that has appeared in stock, so am looking forward to trying it out.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...