How to get a better sear when grilling a fish?

I think part of the issue when I read this thread, is the original question...."Do you have a suggestion on how to properly seared a fish steak?"

There are so many different kinds of fish (with different cooking needs) and the term "steak" can maybe be interpreted a couple different ways...

Do you mean "steak" as in picture below, or filet?

For example, we do "Salmon Steaks" quite often...that look like this....throw them on the lightly oiled baking steel (steel at around 450 degrees) for 3-4 minutes a side and done!

image.png.5d89a61a176304df2590bacbb1c545d0.png

So, to me, a thick Chilean Sea Bass filet screams quick sear (cooked to golden and seared crispy on both sides) and nothing that really requires anything special.  Same as I would do a skin-on Salmon filet.  Thicker just takes longer.

Dry both sides well, season well, heat a searing surface to about 450 degrees and lightly oil. Assuming you are presenting skin side up, sear skin side down first until nice and crisp, flip it over and sear the other side until it is just barely cooked through or crispy (but this side does not matter as much). To finish cooking, place it on a secondary pan (off of the searing surface and skin side up so it stays crispy) and cook to the desired level - dependent on how thick you are talking about.

13 hours ago, SmallBBQr said:

So, to me, a thick Chilean Sea Bass filet screams quick sear (cooked to golden and seared crispy on both sides) and nothing that really requires anything special.  Same as I would do a skin-on Salmon filet.  Thicker just takes longer.

Dry both sides well, season well, heat a searing surface to about 450 degrees and lightly oil. Assuming you are presenting skin side up, sear skin side down first until nice and crisp, flip it over and sear the other side until it is just barely cooked through or crispy (but this side does not matter as much). To finish cooking, place it on a secondary pan (off of the searing surface and skin side up so it stays crispy) and cook to the desired level - dependent on how thick you are talking about.

Have you actually tried this process with chilean sea bass?  This fish is no where near the same consistency and texture as salmon.  

2 hours ago, John Setzler said:

Have you actually tried this process with chilean sea bass?  This fish is no where near the same consistency and texture as salmon.  

Yup.  A couple times....did CSB and seared scallops on the same grilling steel last Aug for wife's birthday.  Nothing magical about it when you follow the instructions of the pros. I'm just a copycat! YouTube is where I originally found how to cook it for the first time as it's so expensive HERE I didn't want to wing it.  Cooking on a very hot surface is key.  But I cook salmon pretty well exactly the same way...it's just not as delicate.

• 2 weeks later...

Great to hear it worked out...

Interestingly, I had gone to our local fish mart today needing some shrimp (we are doing a fondue for a friends birthday tomorrow) and what did they have sitting there...yup.... couple huge slabs of Chilean Sea Bass....only $30 EACH!!  Ouch...but I bought them.  We are locked down pretty well and don't really spend too much on anything else special these days, so thought I would do a nice Friday dinner for my wife.

Chilean Sea Bass (pan seared and finished in the oven) with lemon risotto (I'll post the recipe...we do this one often and it's a keeper!) and peas soaked in butter, salt and pepper...

image.thumb.png.0da0e05fb19a7b336aa1b15be0b0b8a4.png

image.thumb.png.281cefaa02047daa0d984b20c7d90a46.png

image.thumb.png.7614d87a0c75a37a35095b9cb65f6f6e.png

image.thumb.png.d72218d69e9c7f1c3f506ce4e53f0718.png