Kamado for someone in a wheelchair? (Akorn)

I need something 27-30 inches high at the grate. My options so far are either buy jrs or sit a kamado joe in a “nest” on the floor. So either a tiny grill or spend $1000+. My ideal grill is the akorn but the round bottom makes it impossible to sit in one? Any ideas?

There are plenty of people on this site that have built themselves beautiful and useful kamado tables including for Akorns.  If you search the site for tables many should show up for you to glean details from.  I am pretty sure that you could hire someone locally with woodworking skills (hobbyist?) to assist in helping you get your desired result. If we knew where you were from perhaps we could be of more help in sourcing.

My Akorn with the factory supplied base sits at 34” from the floor.  Photo is attached.

Best of luck of luck with your quest.  Keep us informed!

58AF8AEF-104D-4D34-9620-F773CBB3359A.jpeg

Personally, I decided for myself (and then, for my Dad ...) that "'ceramic' is just not '>$500 important.'"

I therefore bought an "Akorn, Jr." for myself, which I often bring on car-camping trips.  At home, it sits on a convenient table.  Then, for my dad, who is also somewhat-less incapacitated (and not for this reason ...), I recommended that he buy the "senior."  Which is a regular-sized unit with a couple of nice short shelves on the side.  I'm pretty sure that you could easily manage it, even if you are always sitting down.

Both of us have been completely satisfied, and we've cooked lots of delicious meals.

To me, the essence of the Kamado system is that it is [IMHO, "fundamentally ..."] a convection oven.  Within the firebox there is an inner liner, with a gap between the two, within which hot air circulates.  This creates "an entirely-different heat dynamic," which I also observe in my also-convection "toaster oven."  Now, the food is cooked, not only by direct radiance (from the charcoal or the heating-coils), but also by circulating heated air.  And, all of this takes place within an insulated space.

Now, I'm not quite sure what you mean by "impossible to sit in one."  The Akorn has an ash-pan bottom that – very uniquely and very conveniently – is detachable.  But either unit sits upon a set of three legs.  Therefore, I really do not yet understand what it is that you refer-to as being "impossible" ...  What do you mean by "a nest(?) upon the floor ...?"  I truly do not understand.

If the Akorn is the better grill for you and the main issue is the grill sitting too high it should be pretty easy to adapt to the proper height needed. I would but the regular model that they have at Lowes with the side shelves and get someone to cut the legs shorter. This may limit the ability to keep the bottom shelf, but you would still have the side shelves. It sounds like you need to cut them about 6-8 inches shorter than  stock height, there is plenty of room for that in the design. Once the legs have been cut they could be drilled to allow for the wheels to be attached as normal so the grill would be easy to move around. 

One you could look at is the Broil King.

https://broilkingbbq.com/grills/keg-5000/

I see a few main advantages...

1) Highly insulated.  Lower risk of burns if you contact the outside surface, even at very high internal temps.  If you have to wheelchair up close...this may be important.  My father-in-law was in a wheelchair and had no nerve/pain response in his legs at all.

2) Stand removal.  The Keg completely comes off the stand, so you could probably very easily make a base for it that sits right off ground level.  You could sit it right on the ground, but being metal, I would worry about premature corrosion.

3) Swing out rack.  The upper cooking rack swings out from the main one, so you don't actually have to remove it to get at the lower level.  This might make it more convenient to someone in a wheelchair cooking a larger meal.

IMO, only disadvantage of note is that the keg is SO well insulated (too much so) - it does not make the best low/slow cooker/smoker.  It is not the easiest to get stable at 225.  I found anything less than 275 as a bit erratic - basically, I just adjusted recipes and did most of my smoking at 275.  At any higher temp - it is a fantastic cooker and because of the insulation - is a big charcoal saver!!

Akorn Jr. will fit a spatchcocked chicken, split ribs, a couple chuck roasts, etc.  It's super-efficient, using tiny amounts of charcoal and works well as a grill or an oven.  I use mine far more often than my ceramic Kamado.