My First Go at Roasting Coffee

John Setzler

My wife and I bought a new rather high end coffee maker a few weeks ago.  This thing grinds the beans as you make the drinks.  She said she thought it would be fun to try roasting some of our own beans, so I picked up a coffee roaster and some beans to play with.... This could be a fun hobby....

20210423_113131.jpg

20210423_113151.jpg

20210423_113311.jpg

20210423_114449.jpg

20210423_120944.jpg

20210423_115451.jpg

This first batch I roasted is probably darker than she is going to like.  Good thing is that I only roasted a quarter pound for starters.  

Wow, those look perfect to me. What kind of roaster did you get? I just love the smell of roasting coffee. There was a little  independent place named Polly's Coffee in Belmont Shore, Calif where we lived prior to coming to AZ. They had a giant old school roaster in the back of the place surrounded by bags of coffee beans. The walls, shelves, counters, and pretty much everything in the building were panneled or made of  raw unfinished wood. Over about 20 years of roasting coffee, all the wood in the place took on a deep rich  patina and the whole place smelled like fresh roasting coffee. Way Cool. Have fun with your new hobby, a great cup of coffee in the morning is the perfect way to start the day. IMO, anyway.

o.thumb.jpg.c8958a318a4a89b3e041e44fb8a3587d.jpg

It’s a great little hobby!

I attempted to roast coffee a year ago but the results were inconsistent but then I didn’t have a Behmor 2000 roaster.  That roaster is definitely the Rolls Royce of coffee roaster.

Being a bit of a coffee snob doesn’t help nor my espresso  machine setup - Simonelli and Eureka grinder.

Good luck.

John: I roasted coffees for several years, working up the ladder with several increasingly better machines.  I never got as far up the roaster food chain as your Behmor.

Satisfying to do but not as simple as many would have you think.  Roasting is an equation where everything is a variable.  

Your first roast looks like Starbux' roasts [yuk!] which scorch the life out of beans so you can't discern which varietal you are drinking.  

Hang in there experimenting with small batches and your results will get better.  Just be aware that switching from central American to African; to SE Asian or other beans will change everything.  Each different variety of green beans will require tweaking of technique.  But sampling the regional varietals is to enter a wonderful world of flavors.

43 minutes ago, Paul in AZ said:

John: I roasted coffees for several years, working up the ladder with several increasingly better machines.  I never got as far up the roaster food chain as your Behmor.

Satisfying to do but not as simple as many would have you think.  Roasting is an equation where everything is a variable.  

Your first roast looks like Starbux' roasts [yuk!] which scorch the life out of beans so you can't discern which varietal you are drinking.  

Hang in there experimenting with small batches and your results will get better.  Just be aware that switching from central American to African; to SE Asian or other beans will change everything.  Each different variety of green beans will require tweaking of technique.  But sampling the regional varietals is to enter a wonderful world of flavors.

I roasted another small batch this morning and ended up just a hair shy of where I wanted to be....

20210424_095332.jpg

20210424_095625.jpg

But they aren't as dark as yesterday.  Yesterday's roast was just a trial run for me with no real expected outcome.  I needed to know what first crack and second crack sounded like so that burnt coffee served its purpose :)

• 5 weeks later...

That basket looks similar to the Napoleon rotisserie basket. When I saw your post, I thought you might be roasting on your kamado. I’ve considered it. Do you think it would work?

5 hours ago, jark87 said:

That basket looks similar to the Napoleon rotisserie basket. When I saw your post, I thought you might be roasting on your kamado. I’ve considered it. Do you think it would work?

People do it but I am not gonna mess with it because there is too much do-it-yourself modifications and trickery involved in making it work and you don't have much temperature control.  From my studies of roasting coffee, there are a lot of benefits to being able to shift the temperature one way or another during the roast.  I am sticking with coffee roasters that are purpose designed rather than finding workarounds.