Sous Vide Brisket..... sous vide with dehydrator

I just did a dry rub on a bargain brisket.  Lots of course ground black pepper, some brown sugar, some tenderquick, hickory smoke powder, and a few other things.  The brisket is going into sous vide at 155 for 24 hours.   

My Annova has been loaned out to a local chef to try to encourage him to use sous vide in his catering and food truck business.  The time saving in things like fried chicken, and improved quality would be huge.   I do burgers sous vide in stacks separated by wax paper, then 30 sec on the grill for a perfect medium rare all the way through and no shrinkage at all.... He's stuck in his ways.    The machine I'm using for sous vide right now is an Emerill Legasse version of the instant pot.   It is the most used appliance in my kitchen between sous vide, steaming, air frying / toasting, and various other jobs.  I use the pressure cook function all the time often just for reheating in preference to the microwave.

Because I use the instant pot so much, I don't want to tie it up with a 24 hr sous vide job.... The solution is going to be to swap it over to my LEM dehydrator this evening set at max which is 150F.  With the brisket up to temp already from the water bath, the dehydrator should maintain the temp fine......... Has anybody tried this?  

After sous vide, I will probably freeze the two half briskets (I had to cut it in half), and then smoke them in my mini kamado from the frozen state to get a good bark on it without over cooking.

Thoughts??

H.W.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:51 AM, John Setzler said:

Tenderquick is not a good option for a rub unless you are planning on curing the meat.  Are you trying to make corned beef or pastrami?  That is likely what you are gonna end up with if you used a curing salt.

I just removed the brisket, and you are obviously right.... a poor choice.   It clearly has that corned beef reddish ring.  Live and learn.    The dehydrator worked extremely well for sous vide.    I took it out of the sous vide and placed it in the dehydrator after only a couple of hours.  The LEM dehydrator did a superb job of maintaining Sous  Vide temperature.  The result is not quite what I wanted, but it is delicious.  It has now been transferred into the freezer, and I'll run it through the kamodo this evening... or at least half of it.  I took the expelled liquids and cooked them down.   It will go into the kamado frozen, and I'll baste with the liquids to which I added some honey.  I don't know what the result will be, but the sample I tasted was delicious....... Live and learn ;-(   What the result is, is not as important as that it is good.   Clearly the LEM dehydrator with it's precision temp control is a viable alternative for sous vide.... I will use that method again, but I feel that bringing it up to temp first in a water bath is important.    This evening I'll put one of the slabs in the kamado keeping the temp low and smoking it with chips, and basting it with the concentrated expelled liquid.

That it comes out delicious is probably a higher priority than that it comes out a specific product...At least that's one way to rationalize "failure"   ;-)    Often times we have to rationalize "failure" this way .......  If I share with others,  I'll have to come up with a new name for it and pretend it's all part of my "grand plan"

Name suggestions ..................

H.W.

On 4/24/2021 at 11:51 AM, John Setzler said:

Just a final note.   The product came out delicious.   The saltpeter in the tenderquick left a reddish ring, like a smoke ring but reddish, and seemed to carry the hickory smoke powder and brown sugar flavors in with it.   The sous vide and the fact that I froze it before smoking left a very pretty interior that was medium to medium rare in appearance rather that the typical color of a smoked brisket.   Everybody loved it, and it got lots of complements.

I'm not at all sure that the tenderquick rub was such a bad idea after all....which is good because I have plenty of rub left

I can't see any reason to do a brisket without sous vide....the result is superior in terms of moisture and tenderness.

The juices drained off when the brisket was removed from the bag and cooked down to a syrup like consistency with the addition of some honey was great for basting, and left a beautiful dark and tasty bark

The hickory smoke powder makes a great ingredient for a dry rub, though a dry rub followed by a 24 hour  of sous vide immediately really is a marinade of sorts.