Crisp Chicken Skin

A basket over direct heat with a little baking powder added to the flour dipping mix will chip your teeth in 30 minutes.

Now the meat may not be as juicy but the crispy skin is there.  I have been unable to get both super juicy meat and crispy skin.  My wife and I go for the crispy skin.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried the max airflow technique on some thighs, but no success. Cooking temp was 450° for about 45 minutes, top and bottom vents wide open, indirect with the sloroller. I did not use flour - I’ll try that with wings. I don’t use flour when cooking chicken on my Kettle with the SnS and I wanted to see if the KJ could produce similar results. 

I knew that I was going to sauce them and serve as BBQ chicken, so it wasn’t a big deal that the skin wasn’t crispy. I just wanted to see if I could get crispy chicken skin. Thighs still tasted great!

image.thumb.jpeg.91b68325a03e7dc606bd75fde4f47e6a.jpeg

It worked! I used flour this time and thighs had a nice crispy skin. I also left the control tower top wide open instead of just having the vent open. Bottom vent was also wide open. Took about 45 minutes to cook around a dozen thighs. 

Thanks for the tip, John!

image.thumb.jpeg.604a9344b0c145dd051dec72a525b8a4.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1f00cb9f7e4d81b27308bd317dfe9526.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.1293f63eb85eb0bf56940a919a25bf7c.jpeg

• 1 month later...

@John Setzler HI John.. been away for a while... Thanks for the question on why no use oil oil on the wings... My last attempt on this was just to try to see if the Wings natural oils would work.. as suggested by CKreef.. They seemed to.. That being said as I experiment and learn on the Kamado Joe .. I do plan to try doing wings as you suggested... I enjoy your recipes and inputs to help newbies like me to test the limits of our Kamados.. Cheers!

12 hours ago, Kamado Smoke said:

@John Setzler HI John.. been away for a while... Thanks for the question on why no use oil oil on the wings... My last attempt on this was just to try to see if the Wings natural oils would work.. as suggested by CKreef.. They seemed to.. That being said as I experiment and learn on the Kamado Joe .. I do plan to try doing wings as you suggested... I enjoy your recipes and inputs to help newbies like me to test the limits of our Kamados.. Cheers!

The oil helps guarantee the flour will absorb it which will in turn gelatinize those starches and make the puff and crisp during the cook.  It's an insurance rather than a necessity in this process.  

Found a post from 2013 or 2014 on this site where thighs were cooked over direct heat, skin side down for about 1-2 minutes, then moving to indirect heat to finish the cook.  Gave it a try today and I was impressed! Not quite as crispy as John’s flour technique, but still crispy and very tasty.

Right after the direct cook:

image.thumb.jpeg.0005cd0ef58e1a92153448c572f9265f.jpeg

Finished product:

image.thumb.jpeg.1910e7521bfca05dc34f853451724581.jpeg