Pick a Pan Challenge - Personal Pan Pizzas

For my challenge entry, I decided to take a shot at something I have been wanting to do but never got around to: Personal Pan Pizzas (plus it matches the alliteration of the challenge title, so I have to assume I will get bonus points :P).  I have some 5.5" cast iron skillets that I really like to use for random things, and I thought they would work great for pan pizzas.  I have been extremely busy lately and hardly have time to cook anything, so I also took this opportunity to make a bunch of pizzas that I then froze for quick meals later.

First I made a basic pizza dough (flour, water, salt, & active dry yeast; 65% hydration), split it into two balls, and let that rise for a few hours.

20210425_183149.thumb.jpg.2156305ecc58edb804cf7985b6b70b20.jpg

In the meantime, I set up my grill.  I wasn't sure about the best way to go because I hadn't done pan pizzas before.  I was worried about the bottoms burning if put right on the stone, so for the first batch I set up up with a grill expander above the heat deflectors to get the pans higher into the dome.

After the dough had risen, I took one of the dough balls and cut it into four pieces (leading to a total of 8 pizzas by the end).  Then I stretched these into circles and pressed into the pans.  Next I added toppings, most were just mozzarella and pepperoni, but a couple also had Italian sausage.  On top of that goes a seasoning mix I like to use, it's just parmesan cheese, Italian seasoning, and a little bit of garlic and onion powder.  I don't know the amounts.  I just mix it together by eye, it's not too critical.  I had the grill going at 525 - 550 the whole time, and each batch of pizzas cooked for about 15 minutes.

20210425_185446.thumb.jpg.07c60666d1449d65109bc8e65c57ede3.jpg

20210425_190122.thumb.jpg.d59bb4078c2f1e03d82ce63feb8b1785.jpg

20210425_191653.thumb.jpg.098fa1a6f8d663f98fad533732b17eef.jpg

20210425_192145.thumb.jpg.640d4685d3164d6f5ed046a25ea2f19e.jpg

These turned out pretty good, but the bottoms were a little less done than ideal.  Good options for freezing though, less worry about overcooking when heating back up.  For the next batch I pulled out the grill expander and just put the pans directly on the heat deflectors.  This worked out a lot better, toppings still cooked well and a great crispy crust.

All in all, things turned out pretty well.  We had some good pizzas for dinner and five left over to freeze for later.  I think the second approach was the way to go, I might also add in an actual pizza stone with an air gap between it and the deflectors if I do it again.

I'll attach more pictures below.  Apparently I have the picture quality on my phone too high, but if I try to compress the pictures it only wants to post them rotated 90 degrees for some reason.

That’s a fantastic idea!  Those look like they turned out great and I really like your idea of making extras to freeze for later. You’ll have to let us know how those turn out too! Perfect Performance with your Personal Pan Pizzas in the Pick a Pan Challenge!

On 4/28/2021 at 10:39 PM, KismetKamado said:

That’s a fantastic idea!  Those look like they turned out great and I really like your idea of making extras to freeze for later. You’ll have to let us know how those turn out too! Perfect Performance with your Personal Pan Pizzas in the Pick a Pan Challenge!

Gave the frozen pizzas a try for the first time tonight, they turned out great.  The one I reheated that was a little underbaked did turn out a little better, as expected, so that could probably be done intentionally if planning to freeze them.  I let them thaw on the counter for 15-20 minutes beforehand to make sure I wasn't fighting with a frozen middle, and then just cooked them at 350° for 10 minutes.  Turned out great and definitely quick and easy.