Big Joe 3 - How to get all the ash out?

Hi guys,

I'm new here and new to Kamado cooking too. I got myself a Big Joe 3 a few weeks ago and I'm loving it.

After half a dozen cooks I now have some ash building up underneath the metal ash draw container (see pic below)

It isn't too bad yet but i can imagine that area filling up quite quick.

Any ideas how to get this out without disassembling the inner ceramic bowl?

If you guys don't have the same problem, what am i doing wrong? Maybe I've installed it incorrectly and there shouldn't be a gap?

20210502_094427.thumb.jpg.255f93d46b248aa4bbf56e4d7ca54542.jpg

thanks!

Si

Welcome @SimonN!

I don’t have the multi piece firebowl, but I do have a cracked firebowl and no longer remove it for cleaning. I am able to gently raise mine enough to tilt out the metal tray by removing the ash drawer and then lifting the firebowl slightly with one hand from the inside area where the tray slides in and then angle-in out the tray with the other. I’m sure that technique probably won’t work with the multi piece firebowl though. 

When all else fails - leaf blower.  Just make sure you clean out as much ash as possible and just leave the leaf blower for what you can’t get at. 

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. I get after mine for a good cleaning once or twice a year. I figure once ash fills that area, no more will accumulate.

Thanks Kismet, I hadn't considered trying to blow it out although was considering trying to get the nozzle form a vacuum in there to suck it up.

I've got a compressed air blower for cleaning laptops, might see if that works!

I figured the reason there are gaps around the edge of the ash pan is to promote air circulation, but if you think it won't impact performance I won't worry about it so much

thanks again

Not sure if the gaps are by design or just the by-product of the design having enough clearance to avoid fitment problems across the masses.  Regardless, I think it will be fine and no need to stress about it too much.  

If you have something flat, (i.e. a table knife) you can move the ash around and it will go down. I wouldn't recommend that you use what  I use (the ash tool) to move some of the ashes out. A table knife would work as well.

I don't have a big Joe. .But I do have a kamado. I gave up on metal rakes, counter brush, and so on. I use this on the kamado, pellet grills, sucks out all the ash. Bottom of the kamado, thru the space at the bottom of the fire bowl, thru the bottom air vent.https://www.kamadoguru.com/uploads/monthly_2020_01/07BD4A81-E937-4CA2-BA7E-58A16E186364.jpeg.77d87f4444505baf313867c4f5b23ba4.jpeg

I take mine apart about every 4 to 6 months between i use a shop vac. If you don't want to take it apart go to a hard ware store and get a cork that fits the vacume hose and a foot of 1/2 inch flexible tubing drill hole in cork insert tubing this may fit between the ss plate and fire bowl adjust size of tubing as needed. 

That metal piece comes out if I remember correctly just lift it out and clean it with a vacc or wisk broom. Dont think you have to take. the firebox out to get it out but I could be wrong

On 5/3/2021 at 2:27 PM, Buttburner said:

That metal piece comes out if I remember correctly just lift it out and clean it with a vacc or wisk broom. Dont think you have to take. the firebox out to get it out but I could be wrong

Buttburner Never tried that I'll give it a try next time. Thanks for the tip in advance.

I do not like that metal part with wing. Last time I cleaned my KJ, I removed that part, and put it away.

I use the ash drawer without that metal housing. It is easier to clean. I use a brush to move the ashes to the ash drawer, took it out, and dump the ashes.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/4/2021 at 2:53 PM, John Setzler said:

@SimonN

Just leave it in there until you decided to do a deep cleaning.  Its not hurting anything.  

This. The only time I worry about the ash that collects under there is when I'm already taking things apart for a cleaning. It does not affect airflow one bit.