Recommendation for a Temperature Controller

I am planning to get a temperature controller for the large BGE.  Initially I was going to get the flame boss 500/400, then I started to read the thread on FB2D.  They seem to be priced similarly and I wonder if there are any significant performance differences.  Also the local ACE is sent me a 10% discount so I can get the Flame Boss there.  Since the grill is exposed on the deck weatherproof is needed.

Should I also look into other brands?

Thanks in advance.

@baileybbq 

I have the Flame Boss 400 and 500 as well as all three versions of the Fireboard.  The ONLY thing I like better about the Flame Boss 500 is that it CAN run independently of any wifi networks or smart devices.  If you should ever need to run a controller without those creature comforts, the Flame Boss 500 is your best bet.

Beyond that, I like everything about the FireBoard systems better.  I like the software/app, user interface, and the hardware itself much better.  If an extra $50 isn't a game changer for you, I would recommend the FireBoard 2 PRO since it comes with the K-type thermocouples.  Those are higher durability and will handle higher temperatures if you want that as an option.  

3 hours ago, John Setzler said:

@baileybbq 

I have the Flame Boss 400 and 500 as well as all three versions of the Fireboard.  The ONLY thing I like better about the Flame Boss 500 is that it CAN run independently of any wifi networks or smart devices.  If you should ever need to run a controller without those creature comforts, the Flame Boss 500 is your best bet.

John, thank you for the feedback.  The Fireboard seems to be a nice unit.  Although the in house wifi should be always-on (even without internet capabilities,) does it means that it would not function if the network access is interrupted? e.g. power outage in the middle of the night.

8 minutes ago, baileybbq said:

John, thank you for the feedback.  The Fireboard seems to be a nice unit.  Although the in house wifi should be always-on (even without internet capabilities,) does it means that it would not function if the network access is interrupted? e.g. power outage in the middle of the night.

I'm not sure how the Fireboard responds to power failures.  it SHOULD continue cooking at its last known settings but if your wifi goes down you will not get any alerts.  I believe the Fireboard app has a failsafe setting you can turn on that will send you an alert if your system stops reporting, which would be the case in a power outage.  You would at least get an alert of the situation from your phone.  MOST of these newer systems require wifi or a bluetooth connection.   I think the fireboard MAY have a bluetooth option but I'm not sure.. I have never experimented with it.  

2 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

I'm not sure how the Fireboard responds to power failures.  it SHOULD continue cooking at its last known settings but if your wifi goes down you will not get any alerts.  I believe the Fireboard app has a failsafe setting you can turn on that will send you an alert if your system stops reporting, which would be the case in a power outage.  You would at least get an alert of the situation from your phone.  MOST of these newer systems require wifi or a bluetooth connection.   I think the fireboard MAY have a bluetooth option but I'm not sure.. I have never experimented with it.  

Thanks John.  I will do some more reading on the vendor site before buying.

8 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

There is a fireboard user facebook group also that will probably get you the quickest answers to any of your questions about it.

Thanks John.  I will check that out too.  In the really right stuff thread, you mentioned that the original fireboard needs the case for protection.  Is that still true for the Pro version?

2 hours ago, baileybbq said:

Thanks John.  I will check that out too.  In the really right stuff thread, you mentioned that the original fireboard needs the case for protection.  Is that still true for the Pro version?

Not so much because they don't even make one that I would consider buying for it.  On another note, the Fireboard website does boast weather resistance on these but DO NOT TRUST THAT.   I have seen too many of these things fail when they get wet.

5 minutes ago, John Setzler said:

Not so much because they don't even make one that I would consider buying for it.  On another note, the Fireboard website does boast weather resistance on these but DO NOT TRUST THAT.   I have seen too many of these things fail when they get wet.

Gotcha.  When I get one of these I will put inside a zip bag if there is a chance of wet weather.

I received my FireBoard 2 Pro over the weekend and it looks really well build.  I was surprised to see that the ambient temp probe is the alligator clip type, even the box content shows the grill clip version, which is nice.

Another mod that I am thinking is to stick a metal plate (the ones used for cell phone cases) on the back on the unit and then also put some magnets on the egg nest, instead of buying the magnetic mount since I already have all those parts in the house.

I will be cooking some ribs this weekend to try out the unit.

Fb_Probe.jpg.48bb6f60a9c2d83de903e75b2451da99.jpg

Congratulations on the FireBoard 2 Pro!

With my FireBoard 2, I mounted my pit temperature probe to the dome temperature dial gauge then ran the wire out under the top cap towards the back.  

Now the probe wire doesn’t get in the way when I open and close the done.

8730C8C0-AAA1-405A-B43D-6FB5C938C23C.jpeg

87BB389E-FF61-400E-9FC5-140C06DDDEBC.jpeg

I did my first cook with the FB2P today.  Very happy overall.  I put the ambient probe at the felt line level and the temp seems to be a few degrees above the set temp.  Not a big deal since it is steady.  It is a good feeling that I can just set it and forget it and go back to work instead of worrying the grill temp.  During the cook there were some dark cloud and a threat of some rain so I fashioned some basic protection for the controller and the fan.

IMG_1321.png

IMG_1310.jpg

IMG_1316.jpg

IMG_1319.jpg

Bailey Nice looking cook. Just one comment be careful of where you put the temp probe it looks like you have it close to being in the open gap between the deflector and the side of the ceramic. This would put it in the direct heat flow from the charcoal and might read a little high, as apposed to a reading above the deflectors. When I do ribs I cut the ends off so they are a little away from the edge of the deflector. The ends were getting cooked more than the rest. Plus they make great snacks for the pit master while smoking. I like your controller rain coat, i steal one of my wife's Tupperware containers and put on top of it. Glad your happy with how it worked out for you.