New to kamados. Been using a wsm for the last 25 yrs. so first cook on charbroil kamander (very similar to acorn). 5 hr rib cook. Shut it down last night around 6 pm. 8 am this morning, temp still around 150 degrees.  Opened cooker and stirred coals around and seen sparks. Minute later coals started smoking a bit. Normal? Cooker seems to be sealed up pretty good. Didnt have much issue controlling temps. Thoughts? Thanks 

Easiest way to find your leaks is build a fire in it add a piece or 2 of wood get it smoking good then close the lid and the vents the smoke will show you the leaks. Some small leaks are normal. Good luck

On 5/9/2021 at 7:09 PM, Brad Elks said:

Yeah that was my thought. Gonna put new gasket on lid and bowl this weekend and see if that helps. Thanks 

Dumb question...how old is your akorn? 

If it's brand new it takes a few smokes to get enough gunk built up to help it seal airtight.

If you've had it for a season or so, then you might replace the gasket.

Just trying to save you some trouble if it's brand new.

D

Have had my Akorn forever.  No shutdown issues.  @WilliamTell, you are correct that a few cooks will “gunk up” a few minor gaps.  You might give the intake slider at the bottom a good once over. Sometimes they have a gap around the outside edges.  Some copper RTV will fix that quickly.  Also check to confirm that you had the ash basket positioned and latched properly.  I made that mistake once…

I have had this happen on my Kamander (almost a year old) once, quite recently and I couldn't work out why!

I don't even remember what I had cooked but the next morning the grill was still warm and when I mixed up the ash in the bowl it was still very warm and stayed that way for a couple of hours.

I did tighten the two daisy wheels when I got it to ensure they couldn't move around too freely and I have added a gasket to the main body of the grill - the lid gasket is a good one and I would not change that if I were you. So its sealed up well in that sense, the only place where the seal isn't the best is on the ash trap at the bottom of the inlet pipe.

Hope you get to the bottom of it!

It seems rather odd to me that, having been shut down overnight with both the top and the bottom vents tightly closed, there would possibly have been any way for there to be "a sustained fire."  Which necessarily requires both an intake for fresh air and an escape-path for the exhaust gases.

Therefore, I wonder if the "sparks" are actually just a "red herring."  If there had been an adequate supply of air, the charcoal would have become ash.

Before you replace gaskets, try this.

Pinch the gasket side-to-side all the way around to puff it up.  Seems that gaskets will flatten out and lose the air seal.  

My Akorn needed this only once -after a half dozen cooks- and hasn't needed it since.