New guy, in the market

So, new guy here looking at these Kamado grills and oh man there is a ton of them out there!! "Trying" to stay under $800. Been researching for a few days and I "think" I have it narrowed down to a KJ Classic I or one of these Visions (but I'm still open to suggestions). I saw one at Academy Sports which got me to looking into the Visions. I believe the one they have they have listed as just a Pro but to me it looks like the Pro C. It has the curved top ash drawer , the different sized knobs on the drawer and the "fine tune" knob on the top of the exhaust. (I put a link at the bottom hope that is ok here) One thing I have learned is with Vision all thier retailers sell a little different version for some reason which is a little confusing. Anyway the one they have is the one I like anyway with the fine tuning knobs, it also comes with the electric starter, the stone, and a cover.

Does anyone have this particular one or at least the Pro C version? If so, what do you think? AND is the air leak I hear about around the ash drawer as big of a problem as some make it out to be?

I like all the features of this guy and am hoping they work as directed and not just a sales ploy. And yes you guessed it this one is at the top of my list, for now anyway. My only real concern is the top latch, its the only one of the Vision grills that have it that I can tell.

Thanks! Scott

Vision Grills Pro Series Kamado Ceramic Charcoal Grill | Academy

1 hour ago, JeffieBoy said:

Don’t discount the Akorn.  Very reasonably priced, bullet-proof and an overall good product to cook on.  Had mine for nine years now.

I agree with @JeffieBoy! The Akorn is a great kamado especially if you are on a budget. I have only had mine for a few months, but have done everything from butts and briskets to searing steaks and baking pizza and have been very pleased with the results! Plus, you can buy 2 for the $800 you mentioned and have some leftover for accessories!!

On 5/12/2021 at 9:44 AM, JeffieBoy said:

Don’t discount the Akorn.  Very reasonably priced, bullet-proof and an overall good product to cook on.  Had mine for nine years now.

Yeah, I had an acorn, the bottom section rusted out in 2 years, and yes, it always had a cover on, they replaced the bottom free but within a year it had rusted through again, so I parked it on the curb and never looked back. My experience with an Acorn was not stellar, and in my opinion was not a great cooker either.. did not retain heat well just being insulated and not ceramic.

On 5/12/2021 at 11:40 AM, SmokyBama59 said:

I agree with @JeffieBoy! The Akorn is a great kamado especially if you are on a budget. I have only had mine for a few months, but have done everything from butts and briskets to searing steaks and baking pizza and have been very pleased with the results! Plus, you can buy 2 for the $800 you mentioned and have some leftover for accessories!!

You will need to have two for when the first one rusts out.. sometimes you get what you pay for. Which is why this time I'm going to spend the $$ and get a good one.

Sorry to disagree, but I have had mine for almost ten years with no issues.  Until last year it sat outside under a round cover.  I can run it up to a grate temp of around 375-400 degrees before it starts getting too hot to touch outside.  The insulation (in mine) is excellent, giving my low charcoal consumption over long cooks.

Sorry your mileage was different.

On 5/10/2021 at 4:45 PM, A.O. said:

So, new guy here looking at these Kamado grills and oh man there is a ton of them out there!! "Trying" to stay under $800.

A little above your $800 budget, but at $1049 (MSRP) you get a 24" and some unique features and flexibility.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/summit-kamado/

1 hour ago, SmallBBQr said:

A little above your $800 budget, but at $1049 (MSRP) you get a 24" and some unique features and flexibility.

https://www.weber.com/US/en/grills/charcoal-grills/summit-kamado/

24 is too big, there is only 2 of us 98% of the time. And those webers are only insulated like the Acorns, not a ceramic heat sink..

4 hours ago, A.O. said:

And those webers are only insulated like the Acorns, not a ceramic heat sink..

If you think ceramics provide any big advantage over an insulated steel kamado, you may want to do some additional research.  I've had a Vision, BGE, Broil King Keg, and now use the Weber.  They've all had pros/cons, but heat retention was not significantly different in any (except the Keg, which blew all the others away...it was TOO efficient in some ways). In your South Carolina temps, mostly irrelevant anyways...I cook at -20 in winters here 1/2 the year.  Being where you are, I would probably suggest the biggest "pro" for a ceramic is corrosion resistance.

On 5/14/2021 at 11:26 AM, A.O. said:

You will need to have two for when the first one rusts out.. sometimes you get what you pay for. Which is why this time I'm going to spend the $$ and get a good one.

I'm sorry the Akorn didn't work for you. As I said, I have only had mine a few months so no rust issues. As far as heat retention, after doing some simple mods to fix air leaks, I can pretty much park it at whatever temp I want and it stays. Also I have done a few 12+ hour cooks and am still amazed at how little charcoal it uses. Good luck with your KJ!! A lot of folks on here swear by them.

56 minutes ago, SmokyBama59 said:

I'm sorry the Akorn didn't work for you. As I said, I have only had mine a few months so no rust issues. As far as heat retention, after doing some simple mods to fix air leaks, I can pretty much park it at whatever temp I want and it stays. Also I have done a few 12+ hour cooks and am still amazed at how little charcoal it uses. Good luck with your KJ!! A lot of folks on here swear by them.

Thanks and enjoy your Acorn! But keep it out of the weather.