Classic Joe 1 versus Classic 2

I'm having a conversation with some people regarding the the current differences between the two older Classic Joe models? When the ver 2 was launched there were a lot of substantial differences (Kontrol tower, Airhinge, new gasket, new AMP firebox, D&C system). The gap seems to have closed since then. Over here in the UK, the Classic 1 is now supplied with the AMP firebox and the D&C system, making the only differences seemingly the Airhinge, the new gasket and the Kontrol tower.

A Kontrol tower costs £69, sop it'd be easy to retrofit. The felt gasket can be replaced with the later mesh gasket. From a price difference, the Classic 1 is available at £899 with the Classic 2 costing £1399. So, for a £500 difference all you are getting is the Kontrol tower, hinge and gasket. The tower and gasket would cost about £120, making the hinge VERY expensive.

Are there any other differences? Are the ceramic bodies the same between the models?

Thanks in advance.

I believe those are the only differences.  I have a five year old Classic I and I replaced the gasket it on it last fall, and I replaced it with another felt gasket.  I am still using the original daisy wheel, and other than getting gunked up every couple of years, I have had no issues at all with it.  The lid is not that heavy, but depending on who will be using it, that may be the determining factor as to whether or not they can safely lift it.  If that is not an issue, you should be fine with the Classic 1 and use your savings to buy a Joetisserie and other accessories.

1 hour ago, Tongmaster said:

Thanks for that, but the info in that appears to now out of date. The Classic 1 is now sold with the newer firebox, thus removing a key difference between the old 1 and 2.

For the £500 difference all you now get is the top vent (£70) to buy, the new seal (£70 ish) and the hinge.

To me that makes the version 2 way overpriced.

If yer young and have 2 good shoulders, I'd go with the I for the price difference.  The control tower is a wash for me.  My Kamado's sit under a roof so no rain issues.  In fact, my BJII came with the control tower that I ****canned it and I bought one of the older model from an older Kamado and I love it.  The gasket is a non-starter also, I don't believe you can just rip the older felt gasket off and put one of the new fiberglass gaskets on it.  Puts too much bulk in the gap that was designed for a felt gasket.

17 hours ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

If yer young and have 2 good shoulders, I'd go with the I for the price difference.  The control tower is a wash for me.  My Kamado's sit under a roof so no rain issues.  In fact, my BJII came with the control tower that I ****canned it and I bought one of the older model from an older Kamado and I love it.  The gasket is a non-starter also, I don't believe you can just rip the older felt gasket off and put one of the new fiberglass gaskets on it.  Puts too much bulk in the gap that was designed for a felt gasket.

So you can answer a question for me then, how, and how hard is it to swap that top vent? I too am thinking about the Classic I for the price but I like the control tower, dont ask me why as I do not have an answer for you. ;-)

I don't have an answer about your question.   But you need to try and go put your hands on both if you can, the air lift hinge on the II is definitely worth the price of admission to me.

34 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

I don't have an answer about your question.   But you need to try and go put your hands on both if you can, the air lift hinge on the II is definitely worth the price of admission to me.

Can not find one on the floor to save my soul!

48 minutes ago, TKOBBQ said:

My Big Joe got delivered today so I am enjoying the Airhinge delights!

2 hours ago, A.O. said:

So you can answer a question for me then, how, and how hard is it to swap that top vent? I too am thinking about the Classic I for the price but I like the control tower, dont ask me why as I do not have an answer for you. ;-)

Take the old one off and lob it in the bin. Drop the new one on. They are only a friction fit, so it will take all of 10 seconds.

2 hours ago, A.O. said:

Ya wanna pay for shipping, it's yours.

1 hour ago, BURGER MEISTER said:

Ya wanna pay for shipping, it's yours.

Very cool thanks,  I'll PM you my info, let me know how much and how you want paid.

Sent you a message

• 1 month later...

I bought the kontrol tower as a replacement for my classic I. I found that it was a very loose fit with the felt gasket. It kinda worked but worried about it falling off. I have since replaced the felt gasket with the mesh gasket and now it's a great fit. However, buying the mesh gasket seems like a very costly way to fix this, especially as the replacement mesh gasket kit seems to provide only enough material to replace the main gaskets and not the neck gasket. Not sure if there is a separate kit for the neck gasket, but I could not find one. Perhaps they assume that will never wear out.