New Kamado Joe owner!

A.O.

So I was going back and forth between the Kamado Joe Classic I or a Vision Pro grill, even entertained the thought of the Kamado Joe Classic II but it seemed way to expensive and the only difference was the hinge, I figure I can lift the lid fine and can use the extra money to buy accessories. I think the Divide and Conquer won me over, seems more versatile to me.

So.... What do you guys think I should get for it first? I'm thinking of course the cover , and then the charcoal basket, anything else I should look at right away?

Any secret tips or pointers for me? 

Thanks.

I'm thinking heavily on the basket but BOY are they proud of it!

Does your KJ not sit outside all the time? Mine does, and I already ordered the cover..

Just ordered the basket, that one makes total sense!  I blew my under $800 goal so for now I'm done buying stuff for it till I play with it for a while. See what "I" really need/want.

One of the lesser used (and not really advertised) options for the accessory charcoal basket that I found very useful was to raise it up and rest it on the X rack so the coals where up high, right below the cooking grates.

Charcoal pushed to one side of the basket created a nice area for direct searing and the other side for indirect.   And you can get away with using a smaller amount of charcoal as well (or even briquettes). Found this very useful for grilling smaller proteins - pork tenderloin, 1 or 2 burgers, a couple chicken breasts etc...instead of flaring up a full basket of charcoal in the bottom.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, A.O. said:

Does your KJ not sit outside all the time? Mine does, and I already ordered the cover..

Mine sits outside on my deck all the time. When I first got the grill I would cover it, but onver about 5 years I have got lazier and do not cover it at all most of the year, and rarely cover it in the winter.

Edited by Golf Griller

A.O.  your making me laugh and cry, establishing budgets is a good thing right?  The only exception is ANYTHING that has to do with Kamado cooking.  Our intentions are good....I'd like to think.

20 minutes ago, Henry B 3 said:

A.O.  your making me laugh and cry, establishing budgets is a good thing right?  The only exception is ANYTHING that has to do with Kamado cooking.  Our intentions are good....I'd like to think.

Yeah, anything that has to do with Kamado's, guns, drones, motorcycles... Need I go on??:good:

It came today, and the charcoal basket showed up about 5 minutes before it did! I didn't realize the shelves were aluminum which is great I can set hot stuff on them!

Now what to cook first?

IMG_5456.JPG

IMG_5460.JPG

IMG_5458.JPG

The top "daisey wheel" seems pretty loose, is that normal?

And I wish they put the hooks on one of the shelves in the back for more bulky stuff to get it out of the way.

Hey there! New Kamado owner aswell, fired it up for the first time on the weekend (8 hour pork shoulder ;)), I had the same reaction to the daisy wheel however when you start your cook it will create more resistance making much stiffer :good: