New Kamado Joe owner!

21 minutes ago, Ymtboss said:

Hey there! New Kamado owner as well, fired it up for the first time on the weekend (8 hour pork shoulder ;)), I had the same reaction to the daisy wheel however when you start your cook it will create more resistance making much stiffer :good:

Thanks, and I did just a basic cook yesterday just some chicken and corn and noticed the same.

How did your cook turn out?

21 hours ago, A.O. said:

The top "daisey wheel" seems pretty loose, is that normal?

That is normal. the more you cook on it the tighter it will become My only suggestion is to align the screw that holds the daisy wheel on so that it is towards the front of the grill and the Kamado Joe label is on the side. This will prevent the daisy wheel from sliding open when you lift the grill lid.

23 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

That is normal. the more you cook on it the tighter it will become My only suggestion is to align the screw that holds the daisy wheel on so that it is towards the front of the grill and the Kamado Joe label is on the side. This will prevent the daisy wheel from sliding open when you lift the grill lid.

so simple and genius! I will give this a try

31 minutes ago, A.O. said:

Thanks, and I did just a basic cook yesterday just some chicken and corn and noticed the same.

How did your cook turn out?

It came out nice and tender used some cherry wood and big block charcoal- I quickly realized that having a probe in the meat is a must since I kept opening the lid to check the temp in order to wrap it once it got to 165. I ordered the Inkbird IBT-6X wireless bbq thermometer, seems like good bang for your buck 

47 minutes ago, Golf Griller said:

Seems to me with the Kamado Joe placard right in front, its the raised Kamado Joe lettering in the back on the top that keeps the  daisy wheel from sliding open towards the back, I'm sure they designed it that way.

I'd like to read your thoughts when you set up and cook using a 2 zone.  Particularly keeping the grates from falling down.  I felt confident playing around before I added the heat, then it got serious.