FireBoard Sales? Best Time to Buy

Hey guys, I'm still pretty new to this whole scene so I haven't had a long term eye out for this yet - but do you ever see FireBoard (or any of their retailers like Atlanta Grill Co) do sales? A basic internet search comes up pretty empty but I don't want to feel stupid for buying one now if they regularly go on sale for Memorial Day/July 4th etc.

Thanks so much!

I called up FireBoard and they told me the only time of year anything goes on sale is Black Friday and likely that would be to clear out their old unit (guessing the FB1). So for anyone else looking to get one - buy with confidence, the price probably won't be dropping right after you click "buy".

2 hours ago, jtemple said:

The best time to buy a FireBoard is now. :-D

Way ahead of you lol, just came in last night so we'll be trying it out today. If you have any tips on use with a KJ, let me know. I see that John and others suggest tuning the max fan setting down a bit - anything else that's been helpful?

Sometimes the programming language is confusing for me, set temp, ideal temp etc. So when I do short cooks I just click on the app and manually set the temperature of the KJ temp.

Aka I want it at 250 I just press manual and set it to 250 instead of using a program.

Otherwise yes lower the max fan setting. Its an awesome product!

I only use the fan for long low & slow sessions.

I'm curious about the suggestion to lower the max fan setting. I haven't tried that yet. I do see that the fan gets a little overzealous at times.

I spend a good long time dialing the temperature in with the fan in place, but unplugged. Once I have it fairly stable without powering the fan, I plug the fan in. I think that helps minimize fan-on time.

In the FireBoard app, click on settings—> select your FireBoard -> Drive settings -> max fan speed % 

Adjust to your desired speed.   Mine is set to 50%.  I will set my KJC3 just below desired temperature and I’ll let the FB2 come on occasionally to stoke the charcoal.

When is the best time to buy the FB2....now.  It’s a great tool for tracking your temperatures.   I use it every time I have food in my KJC3.

My fan rarely goes above 40% or so, and I have my max set to 100%. My fan doesn't run all that much during the cook.

I also increased the lid timeout detection to 10 minutes. So if you open the lid, the fan won't kick on until it gives the grill 10 minutes to warm back up.

Attached is an example of the brisket that's on now. I have been playing with the set point toward the end, that's why the temp is fluctuating.

Image 001.png

I got to use it for the first time yesterday: 10+ hours @ 250F and I used a max fan speed of 25%. Near perfect except for the lid opening every 30 min to spray. I've seen John suggest 20% and a few other guys say 30%, so I shot right down the middle for a pretty decent result. I had the top vent set at halfway between 1 and 2 and the fan honestly didn't have to do much.

Side note, I found wire brush bristles in my pulled pork and had to trash the whole batch for safety reasons so if you have any suggestions on what you're using to clean your grates, that would be extremely appreciated - I know there are a lot of alternatives, but they don't all work super well.

I have been using the same wire weber 3-sided grill brush for many years. I'm probably overdue for something new. I have yet to lose a bristle off of that thing.

I tried a ball of foil, but it ended up leaving little foil shreds stuck to my grates.

There was one tool I had been eyeballing, and now I can't seem to find the link for it. It was a scraper that would scrape one bar at a time, but it was angled so you could get around all sides of each bar. I'm sure it takes quite a bit longer than a brush, but it really seemed to do a thorough job, and no wires.

• 2 weeks later...

Fireboard.com is runing a Father's Day special.... 2 free competition (standard) or 1 free thermocouple probe.

fireboard.png.3c8ba99e22e74ad2722bb9efaca79e78.png