Super long cook, why?

1 hour ago, len440 said:

A.O.  Jeffie had a good guide for his tenderloin buy keep in mind his grill is different than yours, and the time can be different. On the last one you did keep a log on size of fire  temp of grill size of pork loin , this one was over done so shorten the time on the next one till you like the results, also the pork can change the time also. With the pork butt you will encounter the "stall" where the internal temp stops rising and just sits there for an hour or 2 this is normal but the first time you might find it confusing and be tempted to up the grill temp Don't. I've read that this is caused by fat melting inside the meat and cooling it. A little trick is to pull the butt at 175 or so wrap in foil with a cup or so of liquid I use chicken stock. This will help to keep it moist and give you some juice to use when reheating the next day Great Tacos. either put back on grill or in a 250 degree oven till internal temp of 205. If you follow Johns direction you wont go wrong. What kind of thermometer are you using to measure the pork temp?

The charcoal will be a crap shoot been there with the charcoal crumbs I'm a strong believer in clear plastic bags

I have the one thermometer on a cable so you can leave it in to monitor,  and one you just stick in to check.

I was out back working on my tower which is why it was left on too long. So just negligence on my part.

24 minutes ago, len440 said:

In my age group we call that gaining experience same as the childhood scars we have to remind us not to do that again 

Your age group?

The thing with the long cooks is typically that we are using a cheaper or tougher cut of meat. The long time and low temperature lets the collagen and fat slowly and gently melt and flow through the muscle fibre, basting and adding flavour as it does so.

The temperature is hot enough to let the collagen and fat break down, but not hot enough to cause the meat fibres to tighten up too much. So you end up with super tasty and juicy meat at the end.

26 minutes ago, adm said:

The thing with the long cooks is typically that we are using a cheaper or tougher cut of meat. The long time and low temperature lets the collagen and fat slowly and gently melt and flow through the muscle fibre, basting and adding flavour as it does so.

The temperature is hot enough to let the collagen and fat break down, but not hot enough to cause the meat fibres to tighten up too much. So you end up with super tasty and juicy meat at the end.

And about what low temperatures are we talking?

I normally use about 225F to 250F for low and slow cooks. Collagen starts to dissolve around 160F and is fully dissolved by 180F.

While this is happening, the internal temperature of the meat tends not to rise much - this is known as "the stall".

Per @len440 I too use fluid.  I buy the lunchbox sized pure Applejuice boxes and use one per 6-8 pound roast.   First Inject most of the juice before going onto the heat, use half of the remaining when I wrap at the stall and finally sprinkle the remainder over the cooked, pulled pork to keep it moist.  It will all get absorbed into the meat, contains no salt and the apple flavour naturally compliments the pork.