Starting the fire..

I start my fire and then put in the divide and conquer system with the deflector plates in place where I want them for my cook. I never have any yo yo issues with doing it this way. When the dome temperature gets to where I want it I put what I'm cooking on the grill.

I’m also new to kamados, but followed SmokinDad’s recommendations from the beginning and I’ve had great success with dialing in temps precisely and holding them right where I want them. I still haven’t done a really long cook, like a brisket. That will be the real test.

I’ve used the KJ starter squares from the start, but they are kind of slow to get the fire going. I like the cotton ball + alcohol technique described above. I’ve also seen recommendations of paper towels soaked in vegetable oil.

If interested, here’s a link to SmokinDad’s analysis of fire starting options. Cheers!

I use a chimney starter.  I light it with paper but sometimes "give it a nudge" with a propane torch.  When the starter is a column of flame, I pour it in.

Now – this means that all of the charcoal is fully involved and burning, so there's a lot of heat right away.  I typically open the bottom vent about an inch and crack the top vents, then wait for the temperature to settle on my target, usually 300ºF.  My experience is that, once it gets there, it stays there.

Typically, you want the temperature to rise to the target because it's much harder to get the grill to cool down than to heat up.  (Note:  my grill is an Akorn, Jr. which is a non-ceramic unit.)

Usually, when my cooking is done and I close the vents, I have a considerable amount of charcoal to re-use, which I store in a metal coffee tin.  Kamados are positively miserly when it comes to fuel.

Golf Griller accomplishes the same thing, as SmokeingDad, with a slightly different method:

This is pretty much for low & slow, where head deflectors are used.  Without heat deflectors, warming is even!

Golf Griller -  Warms up the grill 1st then adds DC & heat deflectors

S.Dad -  uses a gap in deflectors, to the upper dome, when war to touch, then closes gap in the deflectors adj.

6in one - half a dozen in the other

1 hour ago, Ricorocks said:

Golf Griller -  Warms up the grill 1st then adds DC & heat deflectors

@Ricorocks Maybe I wasn't clear. I put my D&C and heat deflectors that I am using in while the grill is warming up, so that they warm up at the same time. I also do not have to play with moving hot heat deflectors.

I agree with GolfGriller on the startup and putting the heat deflector in place while the

whole unit is warming up. This is done for a couple of reasons. Putting a cold deflector

into a hot grill will cause a drop in heat and take longer to come up to temp. There is also

the possibility of thermal shock which could crack the deflector.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know the reason for not using the lighter fluids in kamados is so the smell/taste doesn't soak into the ceramics but does a cotton ball with rubbing alcohol not do this? I would think there would still be a smell??

I'm also looking for some other ways to get a fire going quicker - currently I use a fire starter cube but seems to take over an hour to get up to temp and ready to cook burning. Makes it less enticing to use the kamado for quick weekday meals.