Starting the fire..

This week, I attempted a more "low and slow" approach by modifying my usual practice with my Akorn, Jr.

I used my usual chimney starter, but loaded it only with the charcoal left-over from my last grill.  I prepared two aluminum-foil-wrapped packets of water-soaked smoking chips, placing both of them on the growing fire.  Then, I added raw charcoal around it.  When I closed the lid, the temperature settled at around 200ºF – less than the ~300ºF that I'm accustomed to – and the grill was soon filled with aromatic smoke.

To this I added my pork ribs, then left them to cook and smoke while I observed that the chamber temperature remained about the same – more-or-less 200ºF.  After about an hour, I removed a very-delicious dinner ... and several days' additional lunches! 

Next day, as I was cleaning everything up and scrubbing it down, I found that I removed more-or-less the usual amount of unburned charcoal, even though I had for the very first time added unburned charcoal following my initial "chimney-starter dump." The smoking-envelopes had been reduced to charcoal, so I added them to the bag.

8 hours ago, MikeRobinson said:

This week, I attempted a more "low and slow" approach by modifying my usual practice with my Akorn, Jr.

I used my usual chimney starter, but loaded it only with the charcoal left-over from my last grill.  I prepared two aluminum-foil-wrapped packets of water-soaked smoking chips, placing both of them on the growing fire.  Then, I added raw charcoal around it.  When I closed the lid, the temperature settled at around 200ºF – less than the ~300ºF that I'm accustomed to – and the grill was soon filled with aromatic smoke.

To this I added my pork ribs, then left them to cook and smoke while I observed that the chamber temperature remained about the same – more-or-less 200ºF.  After about an hour, I removed a very-delicious dinner ... and several days' additional lunches! 

Next day, as I was cleaning everything up and scrubbing it down, I found that I removed more-or-less the usual amount of unburned charcoal, even though I had for the very first time added unburned charcoal following my initial "chimney-starter dump." The smoking-envelopes had been reduced to charcoal, so I added them to the bag.

Your ribs were done after cooking for only an hour at 200 degrees? Wow..