Posters

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 12:23 PM, lotosmoke said:

Seems weird that Weber dropping the price on their Kamado and their is little, very little activity in this forum. Looks to be a very nice cooker. I thought with price drop this forum would be busy.

The Weber wasnt popular on release due to its high price point and most people who were interested moved on as soon as the RRP was revealed 

It kind of missed its window to wow existing Kamado owners looking to upgrade 

I'm sure Weber wouldnt have dropped the price if it was selling well 

You're also fighting the issue that people either 

A- think a kamado at that price point should be ceramic, because... reasons?

B- say "thats a lot of money for a big kettle"

Weber really missed the mark when the Summit launched in terms of marketing and any momentum they may have had with the product evaporated long ago 

That having been said, between the recent price drop of the Weber and the price rise of the Series 3 KJ, the Weber is looking like a no brainer (at least in Australia, where I'm based)

I'll likely ditch my BJ2 in the next 2 or 3 years and when I go shopping for a new grill, the Weber will be top of my list 

• 3 months later...

I am surprised as well. I have an 18 inch vision kamado.  And I'm looking at the Weber summit  kamado E6.  Mainly for more real estate. And based on all of the videos I've seen, and research I've done, the temperature is more stable than my current vision kamado.

1,049 bucks is a pretty good deal.  I cannot honestly imagine many people spending $2,500 on a Big Joe Series 3.  I know people do, but I'm not one of them.

Every year there's more people that are new to kamados and they have to purchase something. So even though Weber had a false start a few years back, there's no reason why people would not consider them.

I think the main reason is the Big Green egg was first and it's ceramic. Still very popular.  Kamado Joe is very popular too, and it is ceramic. 

I think there are two reasons scaring off potential customers:

1.  the double wall steel Rather than ceramic

2.  Big Green egg and kamado Joe essentially own the marketplace, so people gravitate to what is popular with the end user

• 2 months later...
On 6/4/2021 at 7:14 PM, Polar Bear said:

Weber really missed the mark when the Summit launched in terms of marketing and any momentum they may have had with the product evaporated long ago 

This.

Weber REALLY messed up the price point IMO.

Kettle owners were like ‘WTF, I can cook low and slow just fine without spending five times the price on this’.

Those in the market for a kamado cooker turn too the usual ceramic brands, or Akorn and BSK for cheaper options.

It’s only thanks to some YouTube channels that I came to know and trust the performance of the Summit as a versatile kamado.

Even then, I had to really turn a blind eye to the cynical price point of this product. Compare the material and assembly cost between the Summit and a Mastertouch…? Double…triple?

Honestly, the original price was so bloated and clearly pegged to the BGE or KJ.

You can’t tell me it costs as much to press and weld steel, as it does to mould and fire ceramics in 2000 deg kilns.

As others in YouTube land commented (specifically Justin from BBM), if Weber had been reasonable with their Summit pricing, they could have really shaken up the kamado market.

For me personally, I chose the Summit for its versatility and material. I have just mentally written off the price; buy once, cry once…

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, smittydog27 said:

Eh, I just added a Weber summit E6 to the stable.  Figured I had better do it now as they seem to be increasing prices a couple times a year now.  At least they offer military discount on webers direct site.  Saved me a buck.  

Welcome to the Guru there are a lot of great people and information around here. 

18 hours ago, smittydog27 said:

Eh, I just added a Weber summit E6 to the stable.  Figured I had better do it now as they seem to be increasing prices a couple times a year now.  At least they offer military discount on webers direct site.  Saved me a buck.  

SmittyDog, will be very interested to hear the pros and cons vs your BGE, once you have some experience with your new baby!

16 hours ago, PHEAD said:

who wants an over priced akorn?

if im spending over $1000 on a kamado its going to be ceramic, not cheap metal that will rust out in a few years.

Shots fired in the Weber Summit page ^_^

But seriously, love my grill but agree its over priced. 

Better not rust... :o

I doubt it will rust in my lifetime.  I still use a 18 year old performer, no rust.  My stainless Weber gasser (summit) was starting to rust on the side tables, Weber sent me new ones.  I told them I use grill covers and then Weber advised not to cover as it holds in moisture and would accelerate the rust issues.  WOW.  So, I took all my grill covers off and never looked back.  That was a lot of $$$ wasted on BGE, Weber Summit gasser, and three Weber performers.  Would of like to know that BEFORE I bought the covers.  ARGH. They are all on a covered deck anyway 

11 hours ago, Monkey Grill said:

Shots fired in the Weber Summit page ^_^

But seriously, love my grill but agree its over priced. 

Better not rust... :o

:P

yeah maybe that comparison was a little harsh. as long as youre happy with it and youre able to make some good food, is all that matters in the end.

8 hours ago, smittydog27 said:

I doubt it will rust in my lifetime.  I still use a 18 year old performer, no rust.  My stainless Weber gasser (summit) was starting to rust on the side tables, Weber sent me new ones.  I told them I use grill covers and then Weber advised not to cover as it holds in moisture and would accelerate the rust issues.  WOW.  So, I took all my grill covers off and never looked back.  That was a lot of $$$ wasted on BGE, Weber Summit gasser, and three Weber performers.  Would of like to know that BEFORE I bought the covers.  ARGH. They are all on a covered deck anyway 

Wait...Smittydog...so you are saying I should not cover my Summit?

That is going to be a difficult habit to break for me...

4 hours ago, jtemple said:

I have a weber kettle grill that's nearly 20 years old, very poorly maintained, and has zero rust on it. I have no complaints about it and actually feel bad that my Joes have gotten more attention.

before i got my KJ, i had a weber kettle for 8+ years. the only thing that ever rusted on it were the grill grates, had to replace them a couple times, and the ash catcher was fairly rusty at the end of its life. and like you i hardly maintained it.

i was all set to get a weber master touch kettle to replace it, but the wife gave me the ok to spend 4x as much, for my birthday lol

9 hours ago, PHEAD said:

before i got my KJ, i had a weber kettle for 8+ years. the only thing that ever rusted on it were the grill grates, had to replace them a couple times, and the ash catcher was fairly rusty at the end of its life. and like you i hardly maintained it.

i was all set to get a weber master touch kettle to replace it, but the wife gave me the ok to spend 4x as much, for my birthday lol

The spouses and kids all reap the rewards of a good kamado. :)

My 14 year old son tells me that my food is better than any restaurant, and he is my worst critic.