Round vs Oval

HoustonHopeful

Does anyone own a Primo Round? All the info I read is related to the oval. Seems like the Oval XL is too big, the Oval Jr is too small,, but the Round is just right.

If the Round is right, should I just buy a BGE since all of the recent discussion is related to the oval design? Or are the Primo Rounds a good product

Does anyone own a Primo Round? All the info I read is related to the oval. Seems like the Oval XL is too big, the Oval Jr is too small,, but the Round is just right.

If the Round is right, should I just buy a BGE since all of the recent discussion is related to the oval design? Or are the Primo Rounds a good product

From what I've seen, both are QUALITY cookers! Personally, if I had to choose between those 2, I'd take the Primo simply because I like the look of it better. But as far as quality, both are top notch. Curious, have you looked at the Kamado Joe classic?

I've pointed this out before, but something is wrong with everyone's thinking on size!

The Primo Jr. is larger than most give credit, just looks small. You have to go with XL Egg / Big Joe / Primo XL to get more grilling area !! Maybe its the "Jr." in the name that makes everyone think it is "small". I can do as much on my Jr. as I can on the Acorn (& do it better & tastier too!).

Primo Jr. = 310 sq. in. grill

Primo Kamado Round = 280 sq. in grill

Lg. Egg = 262 sq. in. grill

CGAcorn = 302 sq. in. grill

Kamado Joe = 254 sq. in. grill

Primo Jr. = 310 sq. in. grill

Primo Kamado Round = 280 sq. in grill

Lg. Egg = 262 sq. in. grill

CGAcorn = 302 sq. in. grill

Kamado Joe = 254 sq. in. grill

The Primo JR has nowhere near the grilling capacity of any of the grills you listed until you add the extended cooking racks. From the Primo Website: "The patented Primo Oval Junior features UP TO 310 square inches of standard cooking surface."

If you put extended cooking racks on any of the other grills you listed, they go way over the 310 square inch number. Each of the other grills you did NOT quote their potential cooking surface with extended racks. Be careful when you read numbers...

My suggestion to you is to have a first hand look at both. See which one you like better. You might also want to try to have a look at the Grill Dome, Kamado Joe, and Vision models. They each have grills in that size. There is a lot to choose from but I would highly recommend making a decision based on seeing the grill first if you can!

Houston - my advice is get the XL. I essentially replaced my Med BGE with a Primo XL. The versatility of of that the firebox divider, the split defelctor plates, and true multi-zone cooking brings is unmatched. I never thought when I was cooking on the BGE that I would ever use all the real-estate of the XL. Was I ever wrong!

Here's the bottom line: size matters! It's better to have the added size of the XL and never need it than to have the JR and need more grilling real estate. Its then you realize you can't get the added room you need or want without another major purchase! I never thought I'd ever use all the XL. I use it all the time. The versatility that the XL gives is amazing. Versatility is what you want.

Get the XL ... you'll never regret the size.

Houston - my advice is get the XL. I essentially replaced my Med BGE with a Primo XL. The versatility of of that the firebox divider, the split defelctor plates, and true multi-zone cooking brings is unmatched. I never thought when I was cooking on the BGE that I would ever use all the real-estate of the XL. Was I ever wrong!

Here's the bottom line: size matters! It's better to have the added size of the XL and never need it than to have the JR and need more grilling real estate. Its then you realize you can't get the added room you need or want without another major purchase! I never thought I'd ever use all the XL. I use it all the time. The versatility that the XL gives is amazing. Versatility is what you want.

Thanks for the feedback and honesty. I am just concerned about the need, cost and technology.

NEED: Small family of four (6 and 4 year old boys), not sure I will need the bigger size. We don't have any family in the area and don't typically entertain much so usually it is a couple burgers and hot dogs. Nothing special.

COST: I am building an outdoor kitchen and need a grill, fridge, kamado, etc. Getting more expensive than planned.

TECHNOLOGY (most importantly): I have heard / read that the oval shape isn't as good. Is that just sales speak from the competition? Thoughts?

Thanks again for the help.

From what I've seen, both are QUALITY cookers! Personally, if I had to choose between those 2, I'd take the Primo simply because I like the look of it better. But as far as quality, both are top notch. Curious, have you looked at the Kamado Joe classic?

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have looked at the KJs. No issues with it, but it is only about $50 less than the BGE (only need the body, no cart, etc). Given that price difference, Mexico construction vs ???, ceramic type/thickness/quality, I would probably buy a BGE. Not sure if any of that is legit, just what I have heard.

Do you have a strong opinion on the KJs?

My suggestion to you is to have a first hand look at both. See which one you like better. You might also want to try to have a look at the Grill Dome, Kamado Joe, and Vision models. They each have grills in that size. There is a lot to choose from but I would highly recommend making a decision based on seeing the grill first if you can!

OK - this is for everyone and I am sure there are several threads already about this,,,

What is the deal with lead paint? Is this really a concern? I have heard that some of the lower priced models use lead based paint and that this "can" leak through the ceramic and get into the air/food. Is this true? Is this a real concern?

I would have serious reservations giving any credence to stories about lead paint. It seems to me it is outlawed in the USA right now. If kamados were imported with lead based paint, the EPA would be all over it. I would have to throw the BS flag on that one. Someone is yanking your chain!

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I have looked at the KJs. No issues with it, but it is only about $50 less than the BGE (only need the body, no cart, etc). Given that price difference, Mexico construction vs ???, ceramic type/thickness/quality, I would probably buy a BGE. Not sure if any of that is legit, just what I have heard.

Do you have a strong opinion on the KJs?

Strong opinion on KJ's?? Probably more biased as I own one ;-)

I did a lot of research before buying... for me, it was between the Primo XL and the Kamado Joe Big Joe. Both are AWESOME!!

I would strongly encourage you to at least look at the KJ lineup... I think you will be VERY impressed with the overall quality of the cooker. I will not talk down about other cookers, but I did the comparisons and found KJ to be top-notch all the way around... and I consider myself to be pretty picky.

HoustonHopeful, I put this up in the introduction section but then I saw this thread so I’ll repost it here as well.

"Is ceramic ,, ceramic?" Well my answer is more of a maybe. I’ve only cooked on a Vision kamado (from Costco) and I’ve had great results. (So have allot of members who have a steel kamado) Is there a difference in the cooking result from a Vision to an Akorn to a Primo to a Kamado Joe. Based strictly off the pictures I’ve seen on this forum I’d have to say not much. Now how easy it is to get that result may differ a little but even that is not that much. There following is what I’d consider in my decision making process, in order of (IMHO) importance:

a) Size – If you entertain much I’d be looking at an XL size. I started with my Vision (and it’s a great cooker for the price and I have no rusting on anything) but I just purchased a Primo Oval XL because I wanted more space. Also in the size question is what kind of space you have for it. You said it’s going in an outdoor kitchen so you need to consider how much space you can devote to this appliance vs. everything else you’re wanting in your kitchen. Note: Remember to allow space in back of the kamado for the lid to open. Read the specs for each brand to see how much room in back is required for the lid to open.

B) Price – Obviously you can only buy what you can afford but as you said you’re a “get what you pay for” type of guy. My only caution is if you think you’re going to want something bigger or better in the future just stretch to buy it now instead of buying something only to end up buying another later.

c) Value – The price to quality question can be answered differently by different people (based on differing objectives) but you know what you’re looking for so buy the best quality kamado you can afford.

d) Appearance – Obviously you want something that will look good and blend well in your outdoor kitchen.

I think this addresses everything I’d look at if I were in your shoes.

Only my opinion, but we have two shops here in Sonoma right near each other, one has a KJ and one has a Green Egg, on occasion I stop by and kick the tires on each. The Egg is 218.8 lbs and the KJ Classic is 188lbs, a difference of 30 lbs. this is substantial. According to Amazon. Com the total weight of the Primo Round is 140 lbs. these are substantial differences in weight. I have never viewed a Primo round, but with it coming in over 80 lbs lighter than the Egg, I have a hard time believing it would match up. Just visually comparing KJ with BGE, lifting up the lid, hinge stability, firebox thickness, my personal opinion is that the BGE wins out in quality over the other two. My opinion of course, and all three are top notch grills.

Thanks for the feedback and honesty. I am just concerned about the need, cost and technology.

NEED: Small family of four (6 and 4 year old boys), not sure I will need the bigger size. We don't have any family in the area and don't typically entertain much so usually it is a couple burgers and hot dogs. Nothing special.

COST: I am building an outdoor kitchen and need a grill, fridge, kamado, etc. Getting more expensive than planned.

TECHNOLOGY (most importantly): I have heard / read that the oval shape isn't as good. Is that just sales speak from the competition? Thoughts?

Thanks again for the help.

I'm not so sure about the Oval not being as good, from the reviews of Oval users on this forum, i'd have to call that claim false.

The guys are all giving you some great advice, it would be best if you could see these grills in person to make up your mind.

I have to point out that C.C. makes a great point on the larger grill; I almost bought the 18" version until Robb (rwalters) on here convinced me otherwise (we are a family of 5 with 2 children under 4) and here is why:

1. You can fit a pan and your food

29d0c497-a976-4c9d-b23e-01ced129994d.jpg

2. You can fit 3 slabs of ribs without a rack, rolling or anything else:

5b409f2f-7205-4721-8bce-eb1d585472fa.jpg

plus, once you start cooking on a Kamado, you wont even want to lift the lid on a gas model. trust me on this, id sell you an awesome weber genesis silver for a steal of a price if you lived closer.