The Dreaded Kamado.com Kamado Grill User Here...

mmatson16

Does anyone else have one of these kamados?  I believe mine is a hand made version from 2007 or earlier.  I inherited it after the owner, a family friend, passed, but left a LOT of accessories to use.  I can't find any real help without running into Kamado Joe or Green Egg and those accessories don't match what I have.  Any help would be appreciated.  Here is a picture of it, but I can't find a way for the picture to be upright even though I rotated it many times.

20210523_195338.jpg

That is a kamado made by a fellow named Robert Johnson. I believe the model is a K7. There is some controversy and such surrounding Johnsons company. If you look on the net I think you will find a complete history. There are also several restoration projects both on out forum and  Utube which document the process. Show us the specific components your unsure of and we may be able to help you.

Holy crap I got a response, thank you! I've read some of the controversy of this Robert Johnson and though I don't like how things were/are handled on that end, I still have this kamado and want to cook basically everything on it.  I have attached pictures (hopefully upright this time) of a couple of accessories that I could use advice on.  The round ceramic device I believe is a heat diffuser for direct heat in the center of the grill and indirect heat for the outside of the grate.  Is this correct?  Can I get something similar to have the direct heat pushed to the outside (hopefully increasing dome temp for pizza??)?  The stainless steel grate/arch accessory I'm assuming is for hanging things for different temp zones... I have a couple of grates that have a set screw that obviously hangs from the hook and would love some ideas.

20210524_173040.jpg

20210524_180048.jpg

On 5/24/2021 at 9:04 PM, mmatson16 said:

and nope...the pictures are upside down again.........why?

You didn't hint as to your location.  If you are in Oz I think there is a setting for sending pictures to the top side.  Just kidding and welcome  to the forum.  You will find a sparse group of computer experts here for any questions about something Windows or Mac related, questions about beer may get more suggestions and heated opinions.

I think he's  in Australia everything is upside down there. Only joking  It kinda looks like a Komodo kamado you might try posting in there site here. It is nice looking 

Welcome to the forum and that is one nice looking Kamado. It is a Richard Johnson K7 and looks to be in

excellent shape. The ceramic bowl you have pictured is actually the charcoal bowl. If you have a flat,

disc in ceramic, it is the heat diffuser and it sits on s steel rod support or if you have the later charcoal

basket, it may sit on top of the handles. The circular wire accessory pictured is a meat hanger used for

roasting meat vertically. Let us know what the other accessories are and we can help identify them

and what they are used for.

Yup, good info from KSqrd. you should have or need to purchase a couple of good pizza stones. I use 14" ones in my egg. I use John's pizza set up which uses two pizza stones and  looks like this. 

This metal rack is called a spider and you use into suspend diffusers below your grate level or without a grate to build a pizza set up. If you don't have something like this it is easy to get one made to fit your grill. 

IMG_0406.thumb.JPG.ba95f4172603ce09310150876c3c7696.JPG

to make a pizza setup you put the legs down and set a stone on top

IMG_0407.thumb.JPG.b2d5d2f5b935e001b9b9d2a4f3140b87.JPG

Then use something to create an air space between the diffuser and your pizza stone. I use ceramic kiln blocks but you can use wads of aluminum foil, copper elbows, and such. Just don't use anything galvanized as heat will generate noxious vapors. 

IMG_0408.thumb.jpeg.fce14cfba27a3d31057b0bc4da720d75.jpeg

With the second stone in place it looks like this

IMG_0409.thumb.jpeg.aaf3670b404be301c84da1cd694856a0.jpeg

What it looks like in your kamado

IMG_0410.thumb.jpeg.186e8b2d52bbb22b6b9f771e3738f3d7.jpeg

Hope this helps. 

20210529_132821.thumb.jpg.35481114737539813b378e77a4ddd571.jpg20210529_132840.thumb.jpg.96df8d675a3b94a8c15afa422e4ec153.jpg20210529_132734.thumb.jpg.2f9d18c7f351534fdc952e4117cf1b12.jpg

Here are some more pictures of my setup.  The top picture I believe is the right way to install the charcoal bowl with the optional propane starter.  Let me know if I'm wrong again. I had the basket and the bowl backwards the first time I used it.  I have a  lower rack, but I'm ordering a pizza stone here shortly.  I did notice a small crack on the near the right hand side of the bottom damper and it leads up the grout lines.  Is this just superficial? I can't exactly see the inside wall and I'm not sure if I can scrape that stuff off.

Looks like you have it set up correctly with the charcoal bowl and basket. As for the minor crack, it could

be the tile loosening up or the grout dislodging. It's hard to tell with out a closer look. Are you going to use

the pizza stone as a heat deflector? If so, you might want to look into kiln shelves available at place that

sells pottery supplies. Those shelves are thicker and can stand higher temperatures than a pizza stone.

I think I'm going to follow your advice and get (2) half round kiln shelves, made of cordierite since it seems bakers use this material for their breads.  I'll wrap them in foil before use to keep the fats off of it.

A big question I have is should I "peel" off some of the layer that's on the inside?  I feel like it helps the insulation, but some of it seems to fall of easily and it feels like the charcoal bowl doesn't sit right even though I know it's not going anywhere.  I'm not asking if I should go in there with a sand blaster, but would a manual scraping with those cheap plastic Home Depot putty knives do real damage?  Mr. Bix had it since at least 2007 so I'd rather not mess up any seasoning he'd done before as if it were "Grandma's cast iron pan".

I'm smoking some pork ribs for Memorial Day, in memory of family and friends, so I'll post some pictures of how it goes in case anyone is interested, and also I figured out how to make my pictures upright.  It'll be a simple 2-part coarse black pepper and 1-part kosher salt dry-rub with a touch of Stubb's Original BBQ sauce just to help the smoke stick.

MM looking forward to some pic on your cook Instead of the scrapper maybe use a Nylon brush to clean loose stuff I  wouldn't get too frisky with the scrubbing. I'm glad you are fixing and using a old grill in this throw away era we live in. Enjoy your ribs.

DSC_7710.thumb.jpg.1efb59aea292d321ff3648978075a30d.jpg

This is where it got too hot.  Time to cool it down right?DSC_7718.thumb.jpg.50eba40e081735535218f8dc1d8d6f9f.jpg

A little lazy prep. It's only family.  I figured we don't need it to be St. Louis Style.DSC_7722.thumb.jpg.0d42d1ef1340ee6d11775b84af14b618.jpgDSC_7723.thumb.jpg.828b0726d40e93eed2ac2b43bd5c771f.jpg

Holding steady here.  I wish it were cooler, but I'll take what I can get.DSC_7730.thumb.jpg.1ed2567efecf7c57b7b646f492eb5a19.jpgDSC_7736.thumb.jpg.ecfd3ef9dacfd14314ea79de67853886.jpg

It's wrap time here.DSC_7741.thumb.jpg.538a283a00f10b304c5c79f3dd799ca1.jpg

Resting here.  I am a dry-rub person...My wife will put more of the Stubb's sauce on it.