KJ Big Block charcoal very smelly

FunkyMunky71

I have been using Big block for years. Love the stuff, at least until this bag. Big block used to claim Argentinian Craftsmen make it.  What a great product. My current bag, was triple bagged. The standard outer bag,  open that and I found a nylon sealed bag that was sewn twice and had a "Made in Mexico" stamp. inside that bag was a Plastic garbage bag that held the Charcoal. It Stinks bad. even worse when I lit it. It sparked so bad I could not even get close to the grill without getting burnt. I don't know what happened. I know the world is different now, but if this is the new normal for Big Block, I am out.

so sad to loose a reliable product.

My only bag to date is KJ. It stunk like the inside of a harbor freight tools store. And it didn't go away. Tomorrow I plan on some B&B Oak.  I will take the KJ back to the big box store for credit.

7 hours ago, llbts1 said:

My only bag to date is KJ. It stunk like the inside of a harbor freight tools store. And it didn't go away. Tomorrow I plan on some B&B Oak.  I will take the KJ back to the big box store for credit.

Ha! I know exactly what that smell is!

• 4 months later...
On 6/18/2021 at 6:33 PM, 5DPatrick said:

I have been using Big block for years. Love the stuff, at least until this bag. Big block used to claim Argentinian Craftsmen make it.  What a great product. My current bag, was triple bagged. The standard outer bag,  open that and I found a nylon sealed bag that was sewn twice and had a "Made in Mexico" stamp. inside that bag was a Plastic garbage bag that held the Charcoal. It Stinks bad. even worse when I lit it. It sparked so bad I could not even get close to the grill without getting burnt. I don't know what happened. I know the world is different now, but if this is the new normal for Big Block, I am out.

so sad to loose a reliable product.

i started using the 30lbs bags and its like what i remember, had one too many triple bags different experience on the 20 

I also gave up on KJ Big Block, a few years ago it was fine but not recently. B&B “Texas” style is now my go-to and is plentiful where I live. I also like Jealous Devil and Fogo. Royal Oak will do in a pinch.

I may have to give that a try. I used to use FOGO black bag and KJ exclusively, but have been disappointed in the last few bags, off aromas, sparking, and probably a pound of charcoal dust in the last FOGO bag.  I bought a bag each of B&B and Jealous Devil to try out hoping to find something similar to the KJ I used to get at Costco a few years ago.  I had heard lots of good things about B&B, but my bag was mostly small chips and a couple long branches.  I have to shake out my KA basket after loading it and probably a quarter of the pieces fall out.  When I first light it, it smells almost like diesel fuel, and that doesn't dissipate until after I get a really hot fire going, and then it is still a bit noticeable.  Haven't tried the Jealous Devil yet, it's pricier, but if I don't get any off aromas, it will be worth it.

33 minutes ago, GrillnBrew said:

I may have to give that a try. I used to use FOGO black bag and KJ exclusively, but have been disappointed in the last few bags, off aromas, sparking, and probably a pound of charcoal dust in the last FOGO bag.  I bought a bag each of B&B and Jealous Devil to try out hoping to find something similar to the KJ I used to get at Costco a few years ago.  I had heard lots of good things about B&B, but my bag was mostly small chips and a couple long branches.  I have to shake out my KA basket after loading it and probably a quarter of the pieces fall out.  When I first light it, it smells almost like diesel fuel, and that doesn't dissipate until after I get a really hot fire going, and then it is still a bit noticeable.  Haven't tried the Jealous Devil yet, it's pricier, but if I don't get any off aromas, it will be worth it.

I dont seem to have all those choices around here, never seen FOGO or Jealous Devil . Around here is seems the line up is KJ Big Block, Royal Oak, B&B most places. Have not tried the KJBB, the B&B is ok usually, and the Royal Oak has been worthless in the 2 or 3 bags I've gotten, had high hopes too! I was pretty leery when I saw this Expert Grill at Wal Mart, just as I said, it looked kind of cheesy ... so I groped the bag a bit and it felt good so I got one... haven't looked back, always (2 bags so far ) has nice chunks and not much rubble and it burns well!

3 hours ago, A.O. said:

never seen FOGO or Jealous Devil .

I buy Jealous Devil off of Amazon. Even with the beating an individual bag must endure during shipping, it always arrives with the largest chunks of any charcoal I’ve found. I will, however, be on the lookout for some Expert Grill. Would love to find a less expensive heat source!

23 hours ago, A.O. said:

I dont seem to have all those choices around here, never seen FOGO or Jealous Devil . 

The FOGO I buy online, they usually have a sale around Labor Day and Black Friday.  The Jealous Devil I picked up at Academy Sports.

30 minutes ago, GrillnBrew said:

The FOGO I buy online, they usually have a sale around Labor Day and Black Friday.  The Jealous Devil I picked up at Academy Sports.

I'll have a look next time I'm at Academy , I do now remember they had some "Cowboy" something there, never tried it though.

I tried "Cowboy" brand this year as it was the first time I had seen it here - both in Costco and Lowes.  It quickly became my hated brand #2.  I found it sparked very badly, and burned poorly and with an unpleasant taste profile.  If you try it, please post your results as I am curious if it is the same.

First hated brand #1 is Royal Oak (Blue bag).   That said, our charcoal here in Canada is often different than the US version of the same brand - Royal Oak is a prime example of that...Royal Oak Blue here IS different than the US version.  Ours burns like you are setting tires on fire - dark, acrid smoke etc.  I can use it for really hot fires (like pizza cooks) where it is one hot, blazing mass to keep the grill at 600 degrees, but I won't touch it for anything where flavor is important.

I am really enjoying a recent find....Vermont Casting brand, but also use Weber branded briquettes and numerous maple brands I find here.